Skip to main content

Hand to Heart


This month has been typical of an Arkansas winter (as I know them - I'm told my grandfather watched the grown ups cut ice blocks from the river when he was a child and I've never seen that river frozen solid enough to walk on). There have been several days out of almost every week that allowed for outdoor walks in short sleeves - aaand we were also iced in for three days. Some parts of the state (and country) got snow, but we got three inches of danger sprinkles, tiny sleet balls that fell with a sound like broken glass and were absolutely impossible to mold or walk on without slipping.


The ice came after grocery day but regrettably spanned the days the Bigs would normally have ninja gymnastics and ballet, respectively, but since neither got to go, both were at peace with it. My partner downloaded the Spyro video games and taught the Bigs how to play, and the little one sat on the bed with everyone else and provided commentary. I took everyone to a park the next week to make up for missing their usual active time. My middle ended up spending an hour going down and up a spiral slide, while the other two built a moat and sand castle from the ice-melt sludge, so hopefully everyone's bodies got what they needed.


It was nice already having a stay-home intention set, before being made to do so. As with all of us having COVID and my partner's back surgery recovery, it was a lot easier to accept not being able to go anywhere when it wasn't really ruining any important plans or forcing anyone to go out anyway in order to get to work. We were also prepared, since I've been practicing only going to the grocery store once a week. I managed to not only have necessities but also a few snow day treats as well (is it even seasonal candy if you don't eat so much of it that you are glad you don't have to see another conversation heart until next February?)


I finished a hat and journaled and read a book, and one improvement from the snow we had last year was that this time I had multiple online gatherings (a couple of scheduled workshops and one semi impromptu get together with internet friends) so even though I was home, I didn't feel the isolation that I have in the past. I've also been introspecting more regularly so I'm less afraid of being left with my own thoughts.

After everything thawed, even the shaded place on our front walk that provided entertainment for passersby for days, I noticed my own inner shift toward spring. I've hibernated for about two months, which is significantly longer than I've ever managed to do so previously, but also I think I'm coming to the part of the practice where you wiggle your fingers and toes and blink your eyes open after a restful savasana. The light is shifting away from the bedroom and toward my desk in the front of the house, the interval where I turn off the heat and wait as long as possible before using the air conditioning is approaching, and I do feel the better for having made space to rest along with nature instead of imposing an artificial and capitalistic calendar on what is meant to be an ebbing and flowing year-long rhythm. I have begun to accept that I am not a gardening sort of person, but I can still observe the seasons with appropriate practices - in this case, a winter rest, followed by a spring awakening.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants