Skip to main content

Notes from the Den

I mentioned at beginning of the month that I'm planning on hibernating through the winter. So far, I haven't found any downsides to this. It's required a bit more forethought with grocery shopping to ensure that everything can be gotten in one go (arranging my pick ups so that what the first store doesn't have I can get at the second store) and without having to make midweek trips to get items I forgot or ran out of sooner than anticipated, but that's also been good in that the kids have learned if they insist on eating the entire economy sized box of fruit snacks in one day, they will not be having fruit snacks until next week. A minor loophole I've found is asking my partner to get iced coffee for me on his way home from work, but given that my main objective was to keep everyone healthy and also to rest and not to drink less coffee, I don't see a problem with it.

One thing that's surprised me has been how quickly we all adapted to it. There's a Monday evening level 0 yoga class I like to go to (when there's not a plague spike) that is essentially lying on piles of supports which are shifted at five or ten minute intervals, for an hour. Very peaceful. Very low energy. Sometimes people snore during savasana (I haven't yet, but it's honestly only a matter of time). But I've noticed that, even when I go every week, when I first lay down on my mat, my heart rate spikes. I try to get there a few minutes early to give my body time to wind down from the constant demands that I'm normally under. I anticipated something similar happening with this - that there would be a period where we all came up with increasingly ludicrous reasons why we needed to Go Somewhere... but it hasn't happened.

Maybe it helps that I timed it in the appropriate season. I've attempted a sort of hibernation in the height of summer because I loathe the heat and wrangling kids in and out of cars in the heat, but it's never gone well. Possibly because I didn't prep for it properly, or more likely because summer is not when we're meant to rest. Summer is for watering and weeding and patching the leaky places in the roof that we noticed last winter (in simpler times), and maybe for afternoon naps during the hottest part of the day, but bracketed by outdoor exertion. Winter is for sitting by the fire, mending and making and telling stories, and leaning over to add a log or stir the soup occasionally.

I'll check back in in March, but I think any cabin fever I'm feeling at that point will also be a part of the system - the friskiness of spring, waking everyone up and calling them back outside to frolic in the sunshine and green grass again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants