Skip to main content

Stash


It is a point of minor annoyance to me that the Christmas is treated as the end of something, a period of indulgence to be followed by a period of fasting (from food, and from purchases) in January. I don't want to go into the darkest part of the year having set myself up for failure with poor planning or self inflicted punishments for perfectly ordinary things. Any leftover glitter should be a joyful reminder, rather than prompting a moment of internal condemnation.

So this year I'm trying to approach it differently. This is a season of preparation, of getting my heart and my home ready for winter. I'm trying to get all of my going out of my system, and all my errands run, so that I can more or less stay home for the first two or three months of next year. Part of my desire for that is to avoid the annual ick my youngest vector so thoughtfully shares with the rest of us, and also to see if we can't get a little resting and recharging in, pulling our energy back into ourselves in order to put out new growth come spring.

I'm laying in a stockpile of books, enough that I can read one to myself and one aloud to the kids every week. I've included things like "sit in the sun," "take a walk," and "take a nap" on my weekly to do list for January. I've got a nice stash of rainbow knitting projects to work on. And I signed up for a seven week long virtual tarot workshop to have something to look forward to each week, from home.

Yes, there will still be gymnastics and ballet and grocery pick ups, but I would really like to stay pleasantly at home as much as possible. If cabin fever strikes, I can work on my ongoing cleaning/organizing project and see if I can get my car back into the garage (one of my goals for next year). I am not meant to run about all the time, but especially not in the cold. I'm embracing my inner bear this year - we'll see how it goes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants