Skip to main content

By the Book, By the Cover

I tend to think about things... a lot. I would not call myself an "over thinker," as it is my opinion that I think precisely the correct amount for any given situation - but an objective observer might disagree. Part of the reason I do that is because I enjoy thinking, because I don't like the consequences of under thinking something, and also because I am conditioned to place a certain degree of moral value on Thinking Thoughtfully. By nature, I am also aware of my capacity to not think, and I try not to overindulge that aspect of myself.

But in the interest of seeking balance, I've done a few exercises in releasing control recently. The first was going in a local bookstore and announcing my intention to choose a book by its cover (this prompt was externally driven, and was not my original idea). I don't think I've ever seen booksellers so excited as those two ladies were. They promptly had a semi-whispered discussion on the ethics of deliberately facing some of their personal favorites so I might notice them, and we ultimately agreed that after I had made my choice, I would be delighted to see a few of theirs. I ended up leaving the shop with five books (one each of their suggestions, and three I couldn't decide between).  I justified my purchase by mentally agreeing to take them to a Little Free Library once finished, as I've noticed those generally get the dregs of people's personal collections. So far I've read three of them, and only one has been what I would consider a dud (not a bad book in itself, just not one that I connected with).

Thinking of over/under thinking, choosing books by their covers was actually a fun exercise, because I will read literally anything (except horror) and I'm happy to have an excuse to plow through a novel in a day. For some reason, I give off the impression of being quite erudite... in bookclub, no one was surprised at my retention of Zora Neal Hurston's interview with a man brought to the US on the last known slaver (Barracoon), but they were shocked at my enthusiasm over the next month's selection, a romantic comedy (The Unhoneymooners, by Christina Lauren). When you can read 150 pages an hour, no book is a waste of time, in my opinion. I do enough introspection and management that spending a Saturday afternoon with a light story doesn't feel like a waste of time.

But that takes us back to putting moral value on thinking. Who cares what I read? Who cares if I alternate a classic with a hard-hitting history with a piece of fluff? As long as I read in a way that does no harm to others (either through the ideas I'm absorbing or the tasks I may be neglecting), who cares? And why do I?

After spending all of last week unable to read or write, listening to Jeremy Irons read The Alchemist every night while I tried to get comfortable (I chose that one because I have it more or less memorized, so as I slipped in and out of wakefulness I always knew where I was in the story), I still don't have an answer. I don't feel like the time was wasted, necessarily... but I'm also not sure if it was productive (recognizing that productivity can be measured in both Things Done but also in Change Effected). Perhaps neutrality is a sort of balance in itself, although my thinking tendency wants there to be a concrete five part essay - complete with introduction, three supporting points, and a conclusion - for every incident. Maybe one will present itself later... or maybe not. In the mean time, I'll read another book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants