Skip to main content

Closets and Constellations

Several years ago, I very cautiously went to an intro to astrology class at Bella Vita Jewelry, and had the pleasure of meeting Michelle of Moon & Myrrh. She is a delightful, thoughtful, and informed human being. The whole concept made me wildly uncomfortable but also spoke to me on a certain level, so I did my own research and asked lots of questions (which she answered very graciously). I slowly (by slowly please understand that it took a solid year and a half--I do not embrace change willy nilly) began to integrate what I was learning into my life, because it honestly just made so much sense.

I'm a Gemini sun (that points to my core values and motivations), Capricorn moon (that's the framework my emotions hang on), and a Leo rising. Rising sets off your own astrological year, which is why these blog posts have been organized the way they have. Rising/the first house is the house of self and appearance - and Leo is bold, confident, generous but also craving recognition. (If you are interested in learning more, I highly recommend following Michelle on Instagram, and supporting her on Patreon! And of course if you're local to the Little Rock area, she does have classes regularly with Bella Vita).

So to recap, I've got a curious and friendly core, an extra-glittery presentation, and I think my feelings. These are things that I already knew, but astrology gave me tools for better understanding those aspects of myself, and also rhythms for adjusting those areas so they can function at their best. 

But. If you've known me for more than about three years, you may have heard me refer to myself as an introvert, and also express lots of other concepts of self that run counter to what I've just said. That would be because, from childhood, every time I was told some part of who I was as a person was deemed unacceptable, rather than deleting it altogether, I put it into storage (an advantage of thinking my feelings, and also the stubbornness that comes with that). So much of me went into that box that it reassembled into a whole entity. Sometimes when I was falling asleep at night I would let that person out and create story worlds for them to explore. But that left voids to be filled in my waking hours, and I did the best I could. Sometimes I replaced something with its opposite (as with extroversion/introversion) and sometimes I elevated the importance of something (like embracing knitting with the enthusiasm I naturally felt toward writing). 

I recently cleaned up old blog posts and my Instagram feed (I deleted or archived something like six thousand photos) and cried as I did it - not because of loss, but because I wanted to go back and hug my past self. She was trying so hard, and had so little support, and was carrying so much more than anyone should have to carry alone... and she made it through, and somehow managed to not only survive but also to gather the tools needed to become who I am now. Bless her heart.

Moving forward, I want to honor both the work she did and also the person I'm becoming. I also don't want anyone I come into contact with to feel like closets are for anything but clothes, which is why (here and on Instagram) I'm planning on practicing that integrity I mentioned in my last post and being a lot more open about myself and my processes from here out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants