Skip to main content

Map Quest

We lived across the country from my grandparents for much of my childhood. The trip to visit took a day, maybe two, depending on where we were coming from at the time, and as the only non driver in the family unit, I was handed a map and taught how to read it at the age of six, contributing as navigator. I'd get a directive like "we'll be hitting Nashville close to rush hour so I'd like to go around instead of through" and I'd give orders like "in two miles you'll be taking exit 147A on the left toward Lebanon so you should start getting over now" and the driver would actually do what I said. It was a very-confidence building experience.


A map of my favorite place to write

I still love maps, and I have a broad definition of what I consider a map. There's the traditional sort, of course - wide earth made flat, roads and river unimaginably long and broad now traceable with a fingertip. I'm not averse to using GPS, especially if I'm going somewhere new on a timeline, but I still look over the route options I'm given and familiarize myself with the chosen one before setting out. 


Their most recent Kiwi Crate subscription was on mapping, so we made treasure and locking chests and maps to find them. They were so pleased that they had me make maps for their Easter eggs, as well, instead of the more traditional hunt

Since the kids were small, I've always kept up a running patter while driving about our route, with the goal of getting them to notice and be aware of their surroundings, and also to be able to give directions back to our house from anywhere in town, even if they didn't remember the exact address. It's made them into atrocious backseat drivers ("Mommy, that light is green now" "Mommy there's a truck very close behind us" "Mommy I don't think this is the way to the snow cone place") but even the the two year old can tell when we're "almote home" regardless of the direction we're approaching home from.

A recent realization I've had around my love of lists is that a list is a kind of map - a day or an errand laid out in order, just in written form rather than drawn. This was recently highlighted when I made my favorite kind of "pretty list," where different elements are color coded and the whole things meanders across the page in an organized but very non-linear fashion, with little arrows indicating the order in which things are to be done, based on timing and location.

I suspect that's probably also why I like bullet journaling - there are a lot of small symbols and neat ways of organizing information, and the dot grid paper lends itself well to multidirectional writing and geometric drawing. Mine has evolved over the three years since I officially started bullet journaling, but it holds monthly and weekly layouts, planned expenses and creative projects, notes from talks and books and my own head, lists of things to do and vision boards of goals to reach for. All of it - the maps, the lists, the bullet journaling - is ultimately a way of combining what I know of the world around me with the way I want it to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants