Skip to main content

Run Away with Me

One thing I've had to become more intentional about this past year has been escape. On a micro level, that looks like early mornings and noise cancelling earbuds; a few hours a day to experience felt solitude and think some entire uninterrupted thoughts. It helps me be more present for the rest of the day, and staves off the late afternoon stress-induced synesthesia that turns sounds into bursts of light and that light into blinding headaches.

While I naturally function best with freedom within structure, this has been a bit more restriction than I'd prefer. Last summer we managed to get our go out with movie drives - the gift of a van with a DVD player kept the kids occupied and separated, and I'd get drive through coffee and head to an honor system farmstead 45 minutes away for flowers ("hyacinths to feed the soul" and all that). Cartoon binges for them have given me the headspace (and physical space) to plan more productive activities - we've been trying to send letters and drawings whenever the kids mention missing someone, and I'm determined that we shall reenter society with two of the three functionally literate.

I've been going on evening walks whenever possible, and expanded my definition of "nice weather" to allow for more walks. Aimless loops through the neighborhood, maybe stopping on a bridge to stare at the creek below, or maybe using the upper body workout machines the city installed at a nearby park. Adam takes the Bigs scootering around the neighborhood or to an unused basketball court to drive RC cars or fly styrofoam planes on his days off. As the designated family errand runner, I've also gotten used to going out solo. If there's no reason for them to need to be there (recent exceptions were choosing fabric and picking out spring clothes), then they shouldn't be. It has shifted when I do things like getting groceries, but I think we've all benefited from the new system.

Date nights were already too few but interestingly the quality has improved. Based on the level of planning involved, and efforts to minimize breathing on and being breathed on by others, we've managed to have a few overnight dates, which wasn't happening before. It was initially sparked by a solitary overnight outing I took last summer in an attempt to persuade the toddler that his own bed was just as nice as mine, and no really Mommy didn't need to be a food source anymore (it worked). Then we realized that with digital check in, it's entirely possible to stay in a hotel without ever seeing anyone else, and provides a nicer way to eat take out than sitting in the car (we want to support local restaurants, but the food service workers don't deserve to be breathed on in order to keep their jobs). One time we found an off time to go to an axe throwing place and had it to ourselves (I still miss movie theaters, though).

There are still moments - and days - when I want to run away, to be alone with my own thoughts, or lost in a crowd. But we're finding relief in our small spaces, together - and it's going to be alright.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants