Skip to main content

Better Together


After spending a year stuck together at all times (we did homeschool before, but there were still outings and extracurriculars and a few weekly studies where we each got to go to our own class for a couple of hours), we have grown thoroughly sick of each other and then come out the other side of that to a reluctant acceptance that may be beginning to border on enjoyment again.

One issue that we ran into last summer was that all of the kids were at somewhat awkward ages. Neither of the older two could work the swing themselves (we have a disc swing) so that put me standing by the tree continuously lifting them on and off it, while the littlest toddled precariously around our slanted, rocky yard trying to sample everything he could pick up. But there has begun to be a shift.


Last fall I taught the Bigs how to wash dishes (the tallest rinses, the shorter loads) and they've happily adopted that as Their Task (candy afterward likely helps, but it's a small price to pay for delegating a task I loathe). When I bug-prepped last week and had everyone deep clean their rooms, my little collector delightedly received the new storage bins I gave him and has admired them daily since. We got spring clothes (which I never got around to last year, since we weren't going anywhere) and I put a cap on how many T-shirts one person needs and they chose which extra ones to donate. I also got a storage cube so the toddler clothes won't be living in a basket in the closet (trying to remove all the bug habitats!) and his brother built it for him almost by himself.

So when we went outside yesterday, after one attempted escape through the gap in the fence that was thwarted by a lost shoe, they all played happily together for two hours. The Bigs both figured out the swing, they all dug worms together, there was some cooperative ball-kicking, and a reasonable amount of taking turns. 


I've grown bored enough to become creative, and they've gotten old enough to be a bit more capable, so I'm hopeful this year will begin the family adventures. I'd love to take them hiking and camping and exploring. A highlight of my own childhood was weekend hikes and camping trips, delight from the wildlife spotted and creeks splashed in all the way to the cold mornings of dressing inside my sleeping bag and being hungry enough once we got back to the car to be willing to eat all of the trail mix ingredients (not just the M&Ms). I think we'll start with parks, and maybe renew our zoo membership. 

It has been a long, hard journey - not just the past year, but honestly motherhood in general. My oldest had a couple of dietary restrictions from birth (no dairy for Mommy!) and would have required a lot of energy even if I hadn't had postpartum depression. I had my middle eighteen months later, after moving away from all of our friends and family. My husband was deployed for a year, leaving me the sole parent of a preschooler and a toddler with only occasional relief. My youngest has proven the easiest of them all, but is still the third, so I'm very much outnumbered. Every step has been a struggle, likely sometimes self inflicted, but a struggle nonetheless. I'm hopeful that we've reached a stage of cooperation and collaboration, rather than Mommy Doing Everything - I would really love to be better together!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants