Skip to main content

Warmly

Monthly maker post! First up, something I'm really pleased with: this Churchmouse Simple Tee that I knit out of Woolfolk Flette that I had bought for a different project that ended up falling through. I didn't finish it in time for a museum photoshoot, but there are a pretty locations here, too. (This one was also conveniently located across the street from my favorite local coffee shop.)

While there are a selection of simple tee options (both free and paid), I ultimately chose this one because I've knit some other Churchmouse designs and I trust them to have well written patterns with thoughtful details. This did not disappoint - it was beautifully simple, and there was no extra finishing after the main pieces were complete. That clean collar line and nice edge on the sleeve happened in process, which I really appreciate. I used the Flette, because I liked it and even though it was nothing like any of the recommended yarns, I still somehow got exact gauge. It was an enjoyable process and I love the end product - I think I'll make more, with different yarns!

My next project is to finish this Carrot Cardigan from an old issue of Knitscene (back before sweaters were knit all in one piece), that I started in March. I bucked the pattern and knit the sleeves in the round, but I'm still going to have to set them in after the rest is made. At least this yarn will be easier to seam with than the Flette in my tee! I'm nearly there, and it's much more motivating to work on something I'll be able to wear as soon as it's finished.

It is (finally) soup weather! I've made this gluten free chicken noodle soup many times, and it's a family favorite, but this time I switched it up a little. I had some goat cheese that needed eating and a craving for something crunchy, so I left out the soy sauce/sesame oil and put in half a tablespoon of Trader Joe's taco seasoning powder instead. Then I fried a whole bunch of tortilla strips (not on purpose - I put too much oil in the pan and then felt obligated to continue making them until it was used up...) and we topped our soup with those, goat cheese crumbles, and sliced green onions. In the interest of full disclosure, I also always replace chicken broth with veggie broth in any recipe, partly because we not good veggie eaters and partly because I think it tastes better. This recipe makes a lot but we ate the leftovers up within a few days, with no complaints.

While we're in the kitchen: kale chips! 'Tis the season when I see how long we can go between turning the air conditioning off and the heater on, and I've discovered that a great way to stave off the need for heat (besides drinking copious amounts of tea) is making kale chips. You gotta stay by the oven for the whole hour, see, because they need stirring. And then you have a bowlful of kale chips to eat! Since I'm really the only one who likes them, I only make one pan at a time - but bunches of kale are enormous, so that means I can make 2-3 batches out of one bunch for maximum loitering-by-the-oven time. I used a recipe out of Taproot magazine, but I'm sure others exist elsewhere.

Finally, not so much a "made" as a "made do," I figured out how to turn tie on masks into adjustable over-the-ear ones. I got this beauty at Bella Vita and felt like the tassels deserved to be seen, so I tied the bottom string around the top one in a couple of overhand knots (remember those spiraling friendship bracelets? that knot) so the top string could slide through it to adjust. It worked really well, and I did it to my other tie on masks (because they all happened to be my favorites).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants