Skip to main content

Anticipated Unknowns

When I was a kid, I viewed our humble mailbox as a near-magical portal which was capable of holding almost any delight. This thanks to a great aunt who encouraged my interest in biology with a years long Ranger Rick subscription, an uncle who ensured that birthday gifts (along with the fancy cards that were odd shapes or had stickers or coloring books) arrived precisely on the morning of my birthday, and, among many others, a friendly mailman named Mr Smith who would allow me to bypass postage by taking notes home to his daughter - my friend - if I waited by the mailbox to give them to him, and would also deliver replies. It wasn't limited to receiving, either - I sent thank you notes any time anyone gave me anything, managed several pen pals, and corresponded with friends who no longer lived nearby.


There's just something so special about finding something in the mailbox with your name on it (that isn't a bill). Besides Ranger Rick, child me also got Nature Friend and Birds and Blooms magazines, a combination which ensured interesting new reading material at least every few weeks. Since moving out, my mum has ensured that at least some of the mail is still fun by keeping me in a subscription of some sort - knitting magazines, natural lifestyle magazines, and one year she gave me a monthly tea subscription for my birthday.

All of the subscriptions that are available now are delightfully dangerous. I love supporting woman owned/local/fair trade businesses but don't necessarily have loads of time (or need) for shopping. The Fair Trade Friday earring and bracelet subscriptions I've had since Mercy House started them make it convenient to change the world, one accessory at a time. As a bonus, I'm not in love with every single piece so I am able to give them as gifts or to friends just-because. This recent ceramic bracelet set by Papillon, however, is one of my favorites!

I also really love structured surprises. I'm not a tremendous fan of surprises in a general sense, but knowing that this package will have, say, earrings of some sort in it is fun for me. It also helps me deviate from my norms a little. I abandoned a "year of lists" project at one point because my answers were so often the same (reading, writing, knitting, tea, music, nature) and while the easily pleased are more often pleased, there is also something to be said for trying new things.

For example, I love bullet journaling (it appeals to my need to organize information in a way that I can find it again later) but my particular brand of artistry does not lend itself well to the adorable and fabulous decorations that come across my Instagram feed. Having a sticker subscription, however, ensures a steady (but reasonable) stream of useable artwork, collected in themed packs, that often prompt me to see things differently than I might otherwise have. The birthday tea subscription was similar - I was exposed to a fascinating variety of teas that I wouldn't have otherwise tried, one of which became a favorite (as it was an herbal tea and I tend to prefer black teas I likely would never have come across it on my own).

Thanks to thoughtful grandparents, my kiddos look forward to Highlights magazines and KiwiCo science boxes, and every birthday and Christmas I ensure that thank you notes are sent - even if they can't write, they can still draw a picture, or like last year, one child made paper hearts with art on them and another made finger knitted bracelets. Gotta make sure we keep the mail going both ways!

Shockingly, I've thus far evaded book and plant subscriptions, although it's honestly probably only a matter of time before I subscriptionize my entire life, especially given the current restrictions around in person shopping!

Comments

Hannah Foster said…
We used to get Nature Friend too! And I always loved getting letters from you!!!

-Hannah Foster-

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants