Skip to main content

Gifts, Generosity, and Gratitude

When I was nine, the secular celebration of Christmas was banned in our home (for well intentioned reasons). I was devastated. I knew that my grandparents would most likely continue to give me gifts, but the idea that I wouldn't be able to give anything back or participate in the rituals and liturgies of the holiday was crushing. The one aspect that was left to me was the one I would have willingly sacrificed in exchange for the others. Lighting candles. Considering the handmade gift that would best suit the recipient, and then making it. Sending cards. Driving around neighborhoods in our pajamas, sipping cocoa and questing fabulous light displays. Baking and sharing special treats. Decorating the tree as a family, while listening to Vince Gill sing "let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me." The gifts of time and joy and love, wrapped in tinsel and circularly given; the process and practice that lead to the products; these are things I knew I needed in order to maintain a healthy mindset.


After deep diving into my stack of antiracist literature, I somehow ended up with a stack of books by Native American authors.

As I've worked my way through Braiding Sweetgrass (by Robin Wall Kimmerer) one bath at a time (as a side note, designating a specific book for bath reading only has prompted me to make more time for baths and I like that - finally having a Lush in my city has also helped!) I've discovered that a lot of the ways I am are gifts from my indigenous ancestors.


For example, that inherent need to give when I've received - not just reciprocating a gift or favor from a friend, but also things like "I am able to buy groceries for my family, so I will also buy groceries for someone else." A sort of generosity that's driven by delighted gratitude, not just consuming but also contributing.

Having recognized the connection - not a random personal quirk, but more like a handmade quilt passed lovingly down from relatives I never met - I've begun trying to cultivate those traits.

By pouring extra tea onto a thirsty plant instead of down the drain. By planning a whole theme for our food pantry contribution (the last one was "good morning"). By remembering the whispered thank you before a meal. By taking more responsibility for my own supply chain. By giving joyfully and receiving gratefully. By being extra in all of my favorite ways, and knowing that I'm not alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Writing

  #attunedpracticetuesdays: where we share the rituals and routines that are aligned with our sense of peace and wellbeing A couple of months ago, while working on a commission project , I started a new practice. I was listening to audio books while working since the project required my eyes but not my full attention, and since it was fairly labor intensive, I took the weekends off (not something I would normally do). Lacking something to do with my hands, the first Saturday I decided to put my speedy reading to good use and read a novel in one sitting (my preferred method, anyway). Then I read another novel the next Saturday. And now it has becomes a weekly thing. The only rule is that it has to be fiction - I read enough non fiction that a novel a week isn't going to hurt anything (and it wouldn't anyway, reading is reading). Helping out with Paper Heart Books and attending a bring-your-own-book-club meeting last week helped restock my dwindling supply. I like to get hard cop

Festivals and Fairs

October is the Month of Fun Outings. The weather is generally pleasant, many things are less crowded than they are in summer because school has started back, and there are also an array of local events. We try to make the most of it, since I got used to not getting sick while we stayed in for a couple years so now we ride out the germiest months at home. But before that, we frolic. We'll miss our favorite fall festival due to scheduling conflict, but there will be a small one at my eldest's dance studio, and we're all going to the state fair this year. There are street fairs and at some point soon we'll go and each choose a pumpkin to stack on the front step five deep, and my littlest will name each family member while pointing at their pumpkin every time we go in or out the door.  I've started leaving windows open at night, and sometimes it's been cool enough to have them open during the day, too. My desk candle has expanded to three candles on a cheese board b

3.3 - Forage

I recently looked up the rest of the Mary Oliver poem that ends in "tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" because that was the only part I had ever heard, and it turns out the rest of The Summer Day  is about going for a walk and lying about in the grass. That's what she planned to do with her one wild and precious life. I feel like it gets misapplied a lot. As the weather grows cooler, I've been thinking about foraging, as a concept. I am a terrible gardener. Even as a child I loathed getting up early and tramping through the dewy grass to the dusty garden to water and pull weeds. As an adult, I stumbled onto the one plant that likes the climate of my front windows but claim no personal credit for their flourishing. If we ever move I may have to leave them here, to ensure their survival. There's also a pot of mint by my front step that survives on rain water or when one of the kids points out that it's a bit crunchy. Plants