Thursday, June 29, 2017

Blessing...


As an introvert, I prize my time highly. I don't like to waste it with trivial interactions, and after awhile even meaningful conversations become draining and I have to go off by myself to recharge. When I get that alone time, I have a set list of things that I do which provide the highest return for the least input, and knitting is one of them.

For years I was a selfish knitter - which is simply the term for someone who does not knit for others. So much goes into it, and there are so many more things I'd like to make than time in which to make them, that it just made sense. If you want something, I'll teach you how to knit it for yourself.

But lately I've seen a shift in my perspective. It started when I was destashing (sorting through all the unused yarn that I had/have stored in boxes in my closet) a couple of months ago. I made a nice list of projects that I could do over the summer that would use up the yarn I already had, and actually made the first few things on it.

And then things started to come up. Mother's Day. A birthday. A charity project. A friend in need of encouragement. The list was laid aside, and while I was still using up yarn that I already had, the motivation had shifted from making space so I can buy more to I already have this, what's the maximum positive impact it can have?

So even though I spend my evenings alone, I'm still using that time to cultivate a sort of community - and seeking to be a blessing to others, with the gifts that I've been given; both the ability to knit, and the supplies to do it with.

Linking up with Five Minute Friday!

11 comments:

blestbutstrest said...

Oh! I need to do this with my stash of fabric! (and I totally get the need to be away from people to recharge :) ).

Bonnie Fair said...

One of the things I've always wished to try, knitting! Blessings come and we can give blessings when we least expect it!

Andrew said...

Love this, Sarah, and it dovetails with something I've recently realized - my future is pretty bleak, but I can celebrate my friends' successes with a full heart...and I want to survive long enough to see a LOT of them.

#1 at FMF this week.

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/06/your-dying-spouse-330-this-is-how-you.html

Carolina Hinojosa-Cisneros said...

What a blessing to be the community even if alone. You are never alone. I love this. Great post and I'm so glad I stopped by. I'm #13 this week! #fmf

Sarah Geringer said...

I completely relate to your feelings as an introvert. Extroverts are blessings to me because they draw me out. I have been told I am a blessing to them because I listen well and provide a sense of calm. I'm sure you do the same! #22 at #fmf

Unknown said...

This is cool, Sarah. Using your talent and time to bless others in such a tangible way - God smiles on that.

Unknown said...

Oh, and that comment from "Unknown" is really from Marie Gregg. I don't know my my name won't show up.

Cindi Summerlin said...

I wish I knew how to knit. I saw a wonderful use for spare yarn ~ knitting "nests" for rescued baby birds, especially hummingbirds, that wildlife rehabbers use. I love what you are working on now if that is what the picture was of

Gina Butz said...

I like to do DIY projects, and while I mostly used to do them for our house, I have found such joy in starting to do it more for others. It's amazing how much it blesses me in return.

Paula Kiger said...

I love this! I recently did a counted cross stitch project (well, finished one that took around three years!) and it was SO rewarding -- thinking of my friend the whole time, doing something that didn't involve a computer screen. It was all a (wait for it!) BLESSING. :-)

Diane Weidenbenner said...

Encouraging blog! I started to knit again in 2005, after learning to knit from my grandmother at age 12. It's such a relaxing, reflective thing for me. The older I get, the more of an introvert I become and recharging is so important. So glad I ran across you! http://www.dianeweidenbenner.com/a-bittersweet-blessing/