Thursday, February 16, 2017

Weak...


I am, by nature, tendent toward self sufficiency. While I have often said I don't want to, I have rarely faced a situation which wrested an I can't from me. It may be unpleasant, but goshdarn the consequences, I can do this - to the point of stuffing down panic attacks because it wasn't a good time. Perhaps this is because I don't want to be seen as weak - or because I don't want to think of myself that way. I am an adventurer and an advocate, not some helpless hapless female.

But. The reality is, I can't do anything by myself. My very atoms are held together by the active will of a God who loves me enough to remind me (often) that only He can do what He does, and that only when I am willing to bring Him my weakness, can it be multiplied into His strength.

This has been especially evident as I've been solo with Littles for several months (and still have awhile to go). Yes, I could grit my teeth and muscle on - at the expenditure of everyone's joy/my sanity... or I could ask for help, and accept it when it's offered. And in the process, I'm learning something: our weakness is what gives us strength as a community. From I-can't-paint-but-you-can't-knit (see yesterday's post) to "I pulled a muscle in my shoulder chipping apple sauce off the walls, yes, I will gladly accept your offer to drop my kids off at your house for a few hours," when I'm willing to admit to my weak points, the strengths of others shine through.

It's a good thing to know and embrace the strengths that you've been given (because we all have them) - but there's no shame in naming weakness along with it. We're meant to be parts of a body, working together to form a whole, and sometimes recognizing our own limitations is a part of functioning smoothly, allowing everyone an opportunity to give as well as to receive.

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers, internet wide, gather to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by Kate Motaung, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join, head here.

4 comments:

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Sarah Jo, I see our posts are similar in some ways. :) Like you, I prefer to be self-sufficent. But you're so right. It's only when we're willing to admit to our weakness that strength can shine forth. Thank goodness God created us for community, and that we often know our intrinsic need for others in our lives. May God continue to give you glimpses of His sufficiency in this season of parenting solo.

I'm your neighbor at FMF this week. :)

Andrew said...

Great post, Sarah. And there HAS to be a story behind 'chipping applesauce off the walls".

Like you, it's well-nigh impossible for me to admit weakness. I'm getting better; my soul has been gentled under the tutelage of the FMF group. But weak still doesn't fit my words.

#1 at FMF this week.

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/02/your-dying-spouse-275-i-hope-you-dance.html

Denise Lilly said...

Really appreciate your post and writing. My husband travels very frequently for work, and I, too, realize my weakness when I parent on my own! :)

Holly Barrett said...

There is no shame in naming our weakness. Love that!! Thanks for sharing at FMF.