Tuesday, January 31, 2017

52 Lists: your favorite quotes

For me, the best place for a fresh start or to begin a new project is on my birthday - the beginning of my year. So the year I was 21, I did a photo a day project (that ended up including an internship in Cleveland, meeting/dating my now-husband Adam, and going to New York to work for Vogue Knitting - so I'm retrospectively glad that I committed to documenting that particular year!), and the year I was 24, I knitted the sky (one row on a scarf each day in the color of the sky). So for 27, I'm doing lists. I'm going to roughly follow along with the book The 52 Lists Project.


A list of my favorite quotes


This was not thought out in advance, so these are the first that came to mind, with a little editing, because I could have happily just put 20 Tolkien/Sherlock Holmes quotes

In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.
Coco Chanel

You will never find a book long enough, or a cup of tea big enough, to suit me.
CS Lewis

Above all shadows rides the sun
and stars forever dwell
I will not say the day is done
nor bid the stars farewell.
JRR Tolkien

You cannot wait for inspiration - you have to go after it with a club.
Jack London

Hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
and sings the song without the words
and never stops - at all.
Emily Dickinson

If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Sherlock Holmes, as written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Live in the sunshine
swim in the sea
drink the wild air
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Design is not just what it looks like and feels like: design is how it works.
Steve Jobs

To affect the quality of the day;
that is the highest of arts.
Henry David Thoreau

When I get a little money, I buy books. And if there is any left over, I buy food.
Desiderius Erasmus

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it
Rudyard Kipling

Knit on, with confidence, through all crises.
Elizabeth Zimmerman

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Love is not love that alters when it alteration finds.
Shakespeare

The road goes ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
and I must follow, if I can.
JRR Tolkien

You take the measure of a man by two things: what's said, and what's done.
from Beowulf

No comments: