Wednesday, October 5, 2016

When You Need a Little Love {Everyday Beautiful}


When we're up on a mountain top (literally or figuratively), it's easy to see beauty - but after we come back down into the mundane and sometimes frustrating rhythms of life, it becomes harder to spot. Everyone wakes up early (and on the wrong side of the bed) after we had stayed up late the night before. Tempers flare, patience is in short supply, everything is cause for tears and drama, and we're just waiting for the day to be over so that we can start fresh tomorrow, nevermind slowing down enough to see the little rainbow on the kitchen wall from the glass that's been on the windowsill for three days (but definitely noticing the glass). And then tomorrow ends up being just the same.

I've been having a lot of days like that lately. Then I was dragging our garbage bin back from the curb and paused by a giant clump of wood sorrel growing in the driveway. I've always love the cheerful yellow flowers and little heart shaped leaves, and stopping to pick one (and eat it) reminded me again that love and beauty are growing everywhere. So I took a picture, said a prayer, and texted a friend - then went on my way feeling a little better for the encounter.


This post is day 5 in my 31 Days series, 31 Days of Everyday Beautiful - for an introduction and more posts, head here.

No comments: