Friday, October 14, 2016

Mail... {Everyday Beautiful}

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers gather, internet wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!


I spotted our postman out the window yesterday, and put on my shoes while he moved on to our neighbor's box, before running out to check ours. Bill... sale flyer... letter! Hand written, beautiful, personal letter.

There's just something wonderful about it, isn't there? That someone took the time out of their day to select a card or stationery - find a pen that works - write out their thoughts - seal it up - and pay for the stamp to mail it with... modern magic. I love the way that, despite other, quicker, ways of communicating, letter-writing has hung on, and is even seeing a resurgence as it receives the "art" title that it so richly deserves.

And then there's the art of stationery itself... letterpressed cards and luscious note paper, fountain pens and lined envelopes, all the postage stamps, monograms and fancy address stamps, pretty stickers and wax seals - swoon!

Perhaps that's why I loved #fmfpartysnailmail so much when Kaitlyn first started it - and why I was so quick to volunteer when she asked for help - and why I'm determined to keep it alive. I know the power of this beautiful "community in your mailbox" - and I want others to experience it, as well.

#fmfpartysnailmail is an encouragement exchange - ladies are assigned small groups of 5-7, and write a letter to one person in their group each week, so that everyone gets a letter from everyone. It only takes a few minutes, only lasts a few weeks, and it's such a day brightener! I'll be putting lists together this weekend, but you still have a few days to sign up for this round (or request to be notified of the January round) - here.



This post is day 14 in my 31 Days series, 31 Days of Everyday Beautiful - for an introduction and more posts, head here.

4 comments:

BARBIE said...

There is beauty in the handwritten note. Stopping over from the #fmfparty linkup! Have a beautiful weekend.

BusyB said...

I think you convinced me to try the snail mail project. Thanks.

Tara Ulrich said...

FMF snail mail party is one of my fave things!

Cheryl Simpson said...

A handwritten note is a treasure. I enjoy receiving a note, but I am slow to write a note. Thank you for the push.

I am going to write someone within the week. I was thinking of different positive memories from my past and the message those experiences taught me and want to tell at least one person what a blessing they were.

This is another reminder to make it happen. God knows how I need the repetition to catch on.

Your FMF neighbor,
Cheryl