Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Haiti {Everyday Beautiful}

Companies employing Haitian artisans, left to right: Vi Bella, BelJoy, 107 Market Street

{Kristen Welch, founder of Mercy House Global, author of Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled Worldand blogger at We Are THAT Family, has already written an excellent piece on this (which you should go read) - so I'll only add a little bit to that...}

There are over 1,000 lives lost in Haiti as a result of the recent devastation of Hurricane Matthew. I see the images coming out of that, and there doesn't seem to be anything beautiful there, so I pray for lights - people who will live and love like Jesus, bringing hope and help to those in need.

Then, while I was in Remedy Road last weekend (watch for a post on them later this week!), I spotted a super-cute pink bracelet that settled onto my unusually small wrist nicely, which the tag declared to be a product of Haiti. And I realized; there are the lights. People who are creating jobs and empowering Haitians to care for themselves and their families with dignity, and who are committed to remaining in place as those same artisan hands work to rebuild not just their own families, but also their country. And that is a beautiful thing.

Find a list of businesses you can support, and ways that you can provide constructive assistance, here.


This post is day 12 in my 31 Days series, 31 Days of Everyday Beautiful - for an introduction and more posts, head here.

No comments: