Thursday, October 13, 2016

Extras {Everyday Beautiful}


"Our highest assurance of the goodness of Providence seems to me to rest in the flowers. All other things... are all really necessary for our existence in the first instance. But this rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers."
Sherlock Holmes in The Naval Treaty by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I love this. I love that God made things pretty, just for the joy of it, and I love that that's so deeply embedded in us as co-creators that we do it, too.

Quilts made from worn clothes, pieced together in beautiful designs - an artful way to use even the smallest scrap.
Dying wool and cotton, instead of just leaving them their natural colors (or working the different natural colors together).
Working patterns into knitted garments, whether that be colorwork or stitch patterning.
Sweeping up the scraps of your cottage industry to knit/weave fabric for yourself - thereby creating tweed.
Flour companies using patterned fabric for their sacks during the Depression, since people were already using the empty bags to make clothing.
Even the impulse to pick a bouquet of flowers and bring it indoors - to make space for beauty, even in the midst of work and necessity.



This post is day 13 in my 31 Days series, 31 Days of Everyday Beautiful - for an introduction and more posts, head here.

1 comment:

Somer Floyd said...

I agree totally with this. I wrote about the joy of flowers recently too. That's a fabulous quote. And I like the way you make me think about fabric, knitting, stitching, etc that isn't normal to me. Thanks