Thursday, September 1, 2016

Strung Along


I've been knitting more this summer than I have in awhile, and I've collected a backlog of projects to share. First (in order of being finished), is Brazen. I made the mistake of touching the yarn (Loft by Neighborhood Fiber Co.) while I was in Yarn Kandy, and after that it was just a matter of choosing a color (because I loved them all). It was a fun knit and the yarn is delicious - I keep telling myself that I should make some as Christmas gifts, but in reality they would probably just get added to my own collection.


Months ago I spotted a gorgeous grey-to-green ombre yarn that delighted my Slytherin heart - and then I was delighted to find a solitary ball of it on the clearance rack at Yarn Mart some time later (that never happens). I kept it on my desk, waiting for it to tell me what it wanted to be, and finally decided on something simple but leafy (which anyone who's know me since I learned to knit could tell you is kind of my M.O.) Revive only took about a week to knit, and I'm glad I trusted my Yardage Sense and went another repeat, because there was just enough and I would have missed out on the prettiest green if I'd stopped.

Flight Song - I love this skirt, and I'm not sure why I don't wear it more

I re-remembered how cool it is that I make clothes out of sticks and string and ideas from my own head, and then wear them in public. Somehow I'd lost my sense of wonder about knitting, but really, the whole process is somewhat magical.


The renewed interest in decorating myself with my own handiwork has led to an attempt to incorporate knitting into every outfit - and a successful experiment in cutting my own hair (I shamelessly tested my theory on Tobin first, thinking that if it didn't work I could just cut all of his the same length and no one would ever know). Now I'm just waiting for the rest of the purple to wash out so I can treat it with henna and be an autumn redhead. Overdying fiber is always an adventure, whether it's in a hank or on my head.



I've been enjoying the Epic Circle so much that I started another one - I still have plenty of bits of sock yarn (I keep finding more...) and I spent August in a mental fog (partly from a double cold - contracted, cured, incubated, evolved, and renewed - and partly because August is just a hard month, for whatever reason) that made anything more complex than just knitting along in simple spirals impossible.


But I'm also a few inches into a lovely orange feather-and-fan curtain for the kitchen window, and I think the fog has lifted enough for me to manage a four row repeat (I was struggling, y'all) - I'm anxious to see it all hung up, and besides, I need to make more scraps for the blanket.

No comments: