Thursday, September 29, 2016

Collect...


As a kid, I was somewhat of a hoarder (ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A: multiple boxes my mother let me pack, at the age of 11, for a cross-country move, that I filled almost completely with paper. Notebooks, stationery, stickers, art pads, magazines, catalogs, junk mail - most of which was mangled beyond use by the time we unpacked it, if it ever had a use to begin with).

Slowly, though, I've become a minimalist (being the adult responsible for cleaning and putting away everything can do that to a person). Now I "have nothing in my house that I do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" {thank you, William Morris, for wording that so well!} So I ruthlessly donate outgrown baby clothes (to the chagrin, I think, of some more sentimental relatives). I purge drawers and cabinets regularly. I follow my husband around, gathering the items left in his wake, waving them at him accusatorily and demanding "are you going to use this?!"

But there are some things that I collect.
     Books. I have five bookcases (of varying sizes) filled with books, and more in boxes. Books are my friends, and I love to spend time with them.
     Mugs. Because tea tastes different depending on what mug it's in, and I drink a lot of tea (usually while reading a book).
     Fair trade and local accessories. I love to "wear the story," and have an interesting answer if someone compliments something and asks where it came from.

The things that I do keep, though, are more than things. To me, they're tangible talismans of peaceful ritual or beautiful redemption - tethers to a world that's ruled by order rather than chaos, by love rather than fear. So in the end, it's not about engaging books or fun mugs or pretty earrings - rather, it's hope that I'm collecting.

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers gather, internet wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

6 comments:

Summer Floyd said...

"The things that I do keep, though, are more than things. To me, they're tangible talismans of peaceful ritual or beautiful redemption - tethers to a world that's ruled by order rather than chaos, by love rather than fear. So in the end, it's not about engaging books or fun mugs or pretty earrings - rather, it's hope that I'm collecting."


This is beautiful :)

Andrew said...

Sarah, this is just lovely. And yes, tea does taste different depending on which mug it inhabits.

So does beer.

1 at FMF this week.

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/09/your-dying-spouse-213-lethal-lessons-fmf.html

Tara Ulrich said...

That last paragraph....pure writing gold full of so much goodness.

Meg Weyerbacher said...

Love this!

Emma Hughes said...

Love that William Morris line - such a great way of determining what stays.. collections say so much about us though, and books and mugs are pretty important :) Plus they fit into both categories!

Patricia Alderman said...

I choose my coffee cup based on my mood! And yes, it does taste better that way. I need to get better at purging and decluttering because I know the payoff is huge. Visiting from FMF#41