Thursday, August 11, 2016

Lift...


Social interaction is not something that comes easily to me. I all but envy those to whom conversation comes naturally, struggling as I do - observing, analyzing, painstakingly engaging, then agonizing afterwards over every perceived blunder. Really, from a purely logical perspective, it's not worth it. I could be perfectly content as a near-hermit, my only interaction being the predictably patterned banter of a barista or the minimal exchange of a weary grocery clerk.

That's what I did, for awhile. I had a group of people like me that I interacted with through the safe barrier of a computer screen, and I enjoyed it. But then Light shattered my dark solitude, and I discovered that the way of Love is one of community. So I attempted to embrace it - only to encounter a frustrating paradox. The grace of acceptance without understanding, the love, the community that was willing to sacrifice for its members... seemed to be something that no longer existed.

But a few days ago, I was forced to interrupt a conversing group in order to appeal for help (I'd locked my keys in my car), and was met with nothing but concern and practical assistance (which included a ride home to pick up the spare key, then a ride back to retrieve my car) - and I realized that I'd found what I was looking for. People who, instead of withdrawing into themselves or their cliques, gossiping or being simply unfriendly, and hiding behind impenetrable walls of Being Busy, are willing to give others a lift (literally or figuratively), in the name of Love.

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers gather, internet wide, to write for five minutes on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Being a hermit...ah, I know the feeling!

Loved the way you developed this, Sarah. The Grace that found you flowed through your fingers into this post. Bravo!

#2 at FMF this week.

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/08/your-dying-spouse-192-ki-to-lift-fmf.html

Kadie @ 12 twenty8 said...

I am so happy to hear you found a group willing to help! It can be a rare thing anymore. And I totally understand you on the hermit front, but God did not intend for us to be alone...so into the world we must go!

Susan Shipe said...

Another introvert! We are a large group. And, most of us write. Interesting. #24 FMF

blestbutstrest said...

I'm so glad you found a real life community that reached out to you!