Friday, August 5, 2016

Happy...



As I opened my computer to write this post, my littlest tiptoed to put a library book on my keyboard. Happy. So I stopped to read the book aloud, a mother owl telling her little one the ways that she can tell he's happy. "I know that you are happy when you giggle while you play; I know that you are happy when you have a lot to say..."

Everyone expresses (and experiences) happiness differently. I was amused this morning when we went to Whole Foods for groceries and stayed for Kids Club: Brooklyn sat in a chair next to me and watched with all her might as a librarian read a couple of books and a guy from the seafood department showed different fish (and a very squishy octopus), and Tobin bounced and squealed and participated (to the best of his 1.5 year old ability) in the hand motion songs. Then mini-me processed for a few hours before starting to talk about her favorite part of the morning, while my little extrovert continued "swimming" with his hands through lunch time.

It's easy for me to enjoy the little things with Brooklyn - we both get overloaded when there's too much going on, and prefer small moments of great wonder. The boys (big and small) like Bigger and Louder and More, "upgrading" adventures until they're wound up with delight, and we're ready to go home and take a nap.

So we look for balance. Quiet walks to the library, trips to the zoo with ice cream after, serial adventures with action to keep the active happy and periods of rest in the car for the introverts to process and recuperate... trying to find what makes everyone happy.


For more on happiness styles, check out yesterday's post!
It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers, internet-wide, gather to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

1 comment:

E Adams Wright said...

Sarah, as a fellow introvert, I can identify with the need for time to "process and recuperate." I enjoyed reading of the creative ways you and your family have found to meet the needs of both introverts and extroverts. Visiting from FMF.