Thursday, July 14, 2016

Create...


Naps were short today. Usually I can count on Tobin sleeping for at least a couple of hours, if not longer, and Brooklyn will generally play quietly in her room for about that long, but today neither of them was having it. So after an hour I called it quits and packed everyone into the car to go hunt down some peace, since our supply had run low.

I got Brooklyn a lime slush at Sonic (strange 3 year old that she is, she likes limes, and I like that it's made out of actual fruit and isn't dyed an unnatural color) and I cashed in a free drink at Starbucks, and we all drove to the best (and also furthest away) garden center to do some scouting.

We've been to Good Earth for food truck rallies, but I hadn't ever been further than their parking lot, so we weren't quite prepared for the wonderland that met us. For one thing, they have a monkey (or is it a marmoset?). Like, a real one. They have terrariums and plants to put in them and ceramic mushrooms that bring joy to my fairy heart. There are greenhouses and gardens and plants and pots and helpful people who don't mind answering ignorant questions.

Somewhere between finding the same kind of hostas that are in our front landscaping and reading the label to confirm my suspicion that they're in entirely the wrong place, and stopping to stare at the koi who were as big as Tobin, we all found that peace I was looking for. I'm a maker by nature - writing and crafting, and deriving all kinds of delight from those sorts of things. But the things I create are only a reflection of the Creator Himself - just like the calm those activities give me is only possible if it's founded in His peace. I may be inspired by tiny new "elephant ears" or lavish hanging baskets, but only He could make such a thing to begin with.
O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!
You have set your glory above the heavens.
Out of the mouth of babies and infants,
you have established strength because of your foes,
 to still the enemy and the avenger.
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
 the moon and the stars, which you have set in place,
what is man that you are mindful of him,
and the son of man that you care for him
Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings
and crowned him with glory and honor.
You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;
you have put all things under his feet,
all sheep and oxen,
and also the beasts of the field,
the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea,
whatever passes along the paths of the seas.
O Lord, our Lord,
how majestic is your name in all the earth!

{Psalm 8}
It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers gather, internet-wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

2 comments:

Christina Hubbard - Creative and Free said...

Oh my goodness, I have done that so many times with my kids too. Slushes + Starbucks. Bliss. That is peace to go and find something that's growing. It certainly inspired a beautiful, relateable story. p.s. I love that song. Haven't heard it in years. Thank you for creating with us.

Emma Hughes said...

It is so tough when nap times don't go according to plan :( But your adventure sounded beautiful and rejuvenating - much better than staying at home and fuming or moping like I may or may not have done in the past... :p