Friday, July 8, 2016

Build...


So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the cornerstone, in whom the whole structure, being joined together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord. In Him you also are being built together into a dwelling place for God by the Spirit. [Ephesians 2:19-22]

I am not a builder. I'm a maker and a co-creator, but building (in the carpentry sense) is not my forte. Do not hand me a board and a miter box unless you have lots of extra wood for me to cut at the wrong angle. I put up curtains last week, but that was anchored onto a framework constructed by someone with a skillset I definitely do not possess.

And, in a sense, that's how it's supposed to be. We literally can't all do the same thing - if we did, we'd starve in our nice houses (or succumb to any other imbalance caused by too much of a good thing). But I still try. I see someone else doing something great for God, and I want to do it, too; without stopping to recognize that it's not that we build anything good, but that He is building us into something greater than any individual can imagine.

So when I see the efforts of others and am tempted to shame my own, I envision the dwelling place of God - a living structure with floors and walls and windows and tables and art and food and all things beautiful and hospitable. And I know that I can follow His directions, without seeing the finished product or knowing my exact place in it, because in His love He's made a place there for me.

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers gather, internet wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing!) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

1 comment:

blestbutstrest said...

Ah, thank you! I get a little overwhelmed by all the sadness and heaviness in the world today--it's good to remember that we all build in our little corner for God's glory.