Friday, June 10, 2016

Want...

Obi Wan Tenobin, trying to use the Force on Daddy's queso

A friend and I are going through Priscilla Shirer's book The Resolution for Women (inspired by the movie Courageous) this summer, and our chapter last week was on contentment. When we sat down to discuss it, I realized that I often present the illusion of contentment, with apathy.

While contentment is a state of joyful gratitude for whatever you've been given, I tend more toward an attitude of "it's too much trouble to change it and complaining won't fix it, so it's fine, I guess." I think it stems from the same defense mechanism that keeps me from anticipating things - a desire to avoid being hurt or disappointed.

But when I refuse to get excited about God's promises (because He is faithful and He will keep them), and when I grudgingly trudge along under rainbows or storm clouds, I'm missing out on a lot of the joy that anticipation can bring, especially when it's placed in One who will not disappoint.

I want to want more - not things or even altered circumstances, but a renewed heart and renewed joy, and an eager perusal of God's Word for reminders of His faithfulness, past, present, and future.

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers gather, internet wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

4 comments:

Kadie @ 12 twenty8 said...

I can understand where you are coming from. I am also one who just "accepts" things. Especially because I figure they can always be worse. But yes, I need to also keep my head up and know I can always rely on Him! Blessings!!

Leah Everson said...

I get it. I used that defense mechanism for a long time. I found when I started reawakening anticipation I discovered hope as well. Thanks for the post!

Tara Ulrich said...

Me too!

Cheryl Simpson said...

"I want to want more." A very good word. It is in the place of our desire we are most vulnerable. And, I believe, it is one place where God is present most vividly. I hold back on wanting because I don't want to experience disappointment. But, I realize all the more now, when I hold back, I am holding God at arm's length. I don't want to do that. I want to embrace wholly the the life God has given and look forward what God will do.
I'm glad to be visiting today.