Thursday, June 2, 2016

Haven...


With Adam out of town for most of the past three weeks, I've been doing a lot of tweaking and box-toting and furniture-moving and art-hanging by myself. In some ways it's been a challenge - emptying boxes where they are because they're too heavy and wobbly for me to lift alone, perching on a stool with a mouthful of nails and holding a level in one hand and one corner of a piece of art in the other, fitting furniture into my tiny car...

But there are definitely aspects that I've enjoyed - spending the day looking at the space and pondering my attack for after the Littles are in bed, getting a wild hair and moving furniture at midnight without worrying about waking anyone up, leaving a project overnight in the "catastrophe" stage to finish the next day...

I don't generally care what others think about me or my projects (that is not to say that I don't value his input and respect his opinions - simply that I'm not paralyzed until I can ask permission to make changes), and it's been refreshing, in a way, to work through my ideas in peace, without having to justify or validate or explain or even share in any way until I'm ready.

But now I'm ready. While there are a few minor adjustments to be made and a few items to be bought (next on the list, curtains to replace the blinds on our currently languishing front windows), my haven is coming together nicely - and I'm ready to be together again, sharing space with the one I love best.

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers gather, internet-wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

6 comments:

Janel Andrews said...

i'm loving seeing your new space come together. From what I've seen you have such an eye for beauty. I love what you are doing to make your space a haven for each of you. thankful for you Sarah Joy

Courtney Lynn Harris said...

I love how you capture the missing of your spouse and yet the freedom that comes when you're the only "grown up" in the house. Wishing you a sweet reunion soon!

Andrew said...

Love the way you 'married' the process to relationship, Sarah. Very deft, and very moving!

My haven is...well, full of dog sleeping crates. They're everywhere! But each one contains happy snores, and, I hope, sweet dreams as I write this. They've had such hard lives; they have earned the small measure of peace I can provide.

#2 at FMF this week.

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/06/your-dying-spouse-163-saving-strawberry.html

Julie Lefebure said...

Love your post, Sarah. Your haven sounds inviting and wonderful. Glad you are able to share it with the one you love, especially when he returns. Bless you!

Kristina Notestine said...

What a perfect way to use the word haven. Our home should be our haven, a place for our particular style and to share it with the ones we love. super cool. #10 this week

Marie Gregg said...

What a sweet post! I could just see you stepping back and considering a blank space on the wall, then selecting the just-right thing to hang there. Your home feels cozy and welcoming to me, and I've never even been there. May it truly be your safe haven!