Friday, May 20, 2016

Expect...


I half expected something to happen. I set my cup of tea on the table and turned my back, just for a moment - then whirled back around after a crash and a burst of sobbing. The preschooler sat at the table, crying, and the toddler lay on the floor, tea-drenched and surrounded by the shards of my pretty peacock mug. She had climbed up to take a sip, he had tried to take it from her, and in the ensuing tug-of-war it got dropped. I cleaned it up, consoled them both, and assured Brooklyn that it wasn't anyone's fault, that no one was in trouble, and that accidents happen. (And then my sweet Mum came to visit and brought a replacement, since she was the one who gave it to me for Christmas 5 years ago).

But it got me thinking... I generally only expect negative things. I expect to need gas when it's cold and/or raining, I expect family emergencies when there's a fun outing planned, I expect there to be meltdowns right when I need to start dinner. Then that's what happens, so I sigh and mutter to myself a weary I told you so.

Why I don't I wake up expecting to have a good day? Going forth with optimism, anticipating delightful adventure around every corner instead of cautiously bracing for an unpleasant surprise. Between the thought I give it beforehand, the attention I afford it during, and the angst I levy at it afterwards, I spend a lot more energy on the negative things - which makes them seem bigger than they actually are.

I'd like to start expecting great things. Expecting God's mercies to be new every morning (because they are), expecting to awe-struck by His wonders (because they're everywhere), expecting to experience His grace and His love (because that is something worth anticipating, embracing, and pondering!)

It's Five Minute Fruday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers, internet wide, gather to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

3 comments:

Leigh said...

Great food for thought. There are so many little things that happen unexpectedly each day. i pray your eyes may be opened to the glories in nature. Miracles are everywhere. Bless you! Stopping by from FMF.

rev2point0 said...

It's so easy to skew negative amongst the shoulda, coulda, woulda's of day-to-day life. Finding His mercy and grace is the gift. Visiting from FMF and so glad I did!!

Leslie said...

I, too, tend to first thought - a negative.
Thanks for the reminder to look up to my Father's gifts.