Thursday, May 26, 2016

Cheer...


"Er - shall I make a cup of tea?" said Ron.
Harry stared at him.
"It's what my mum does whenever someone's upset," Ron muttered, shrugging.
{from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling}

Tea is my comfort food. It warms me from the inside out when I'm cold - washes down stress and sorrow - nourishes my need for ritual - forces me to slow down as I wait for water to boil and leaves to steep - gives me an excuse to invite a friend over - and something to do when there's an awkward lull in a conversation.

There's so much lore and history, art and science, surrounding it - no matter the mood or situation, a cup of tea is always appropriate (to me). I put a lot of effort into constructing a "tea station" in our new house, practically framing it with a bright yellowy green wall, because something so important to my heart deserves a special place in my home.

So as I write, I sip, feeling the bite of tannins on my tongue and the weight of great literature in the dregs that swirl in the bottom of my mug. The warmth of inspiration trickles through me as the caffeine alerts my mind to endless possibilities - all from a cup of cheer.

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers gather, internet wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

5 comments:

blestbutstrest said...

The counselors at our school use tea as a way to cheer and comfort stressed out students (caffeine free, though ;), we wouldn't want them any more hyper than they already are!).

Emma Hughes said...

Beautiful! I love the cheerful station you created, and the power of something so simple to be a comfort, source of inspiration and a means of bringing people together. Such a great post!

Andrew said...

A cuppa for me, please, Sarah.

#1 at FMF this week.

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/05/your-dying-spouse-160-voices-fmf.html

Tammy Belau said...

Sarah,
it is funny how tea is more of a comfort and relaxer and coffee a social stimulus instead. Over here in Oregon, we're more often coffee drinkers. Tea is more of a slow-down and read a book beverage.
Thank you for sharing this excerpt. Your post left me a bit happier and cheerful! :)
Love,
Tammy
(tammysincerity)

I Will Bloom said...

Absolutely loved this post! I'm a lover of tea, too, and believe, deeply, in the power of tea as a powerful partner for mindful living, companionship and deep reflection. Absolutely loved your post! Beautiful. Helen xxx