Thursday, April 14, 2016

Easy...

Brooklyn eating her ice cream on a curb at a small new-to-us food truck rally this past week

I've got a peaceful easy feelin'
and I know you won't let me down
'cause I'm already standin'
on the ground.
The Eagles

Sometimes there's something to be said for low expectations. Not necessarily for low standards, but for not projecting a (possibly) impossible idea onto the people and circumstances around us, almost daring them to disappoint us.

I've learned that if I approach something with a wholly open mind, simply excited for whatever surprises it may hold instead of anticipating specific ones, I generally have a better time. It's easier to be grateful for the pleasant surprises instead of bitter about unfulfilled fantasies, and my memories of the event later are skewed toward the positive.

My word of the year is adventure, and I've found quite a bit of it so far - but I wonder if it's coming more easily because I'm more open to it, seeking adventuresome opportunities and embracing ordinary or mundane things as "adventures" - walking forward with my eyes on the path ahead instead of having my head lost in a dreamcloud.

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers, internet-wide, gather to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

5 comments:

I Will Bloom said...

Oh, it's definitely easier to move through life if we keep our minds open, isn't it? And so much more enjoyable too (mostly)!

blestbutstrest said...

Unmet expectations sure put a damper on adventures, don't they? I love your attitude :).

Tara Ulrich said...

I embedded the video for Peaceful Easy feeling in my post tonight. One of my fave songs. I'm in the #6 spot this week.

Delta said...

I agree! Trying to be more open myself and your post really resounded with me!

Carly said...

So true that our perspective can change everything and if we're open to what's around us there are pleasant surprises to be found.