Tuesday, March 8, 2016

A Spot of Cheer


The offer we made on the most recent promising house was rejected this morning in favor of another, and the forecast for the next 5 consecutive days is a 100% chance of rain and thunderstorms - so we're battening down the hatches and trying to manufacture our own cheer indoors (which, right now, looks like a 50s/60s based Pandora station and trying to teach Brooklyn how to mashed potato).


Adventures aren't always "pony rides in May sunshine," to quote from The Hobbit. Honestly, I generally lead a pretty Bilbo-before-the-unexpected-party kind of existence... quiet walks, quiet sitting, quiet meals, lots of quiet. But in our noisy culture, sometimes intentional quiet is its own sort of adventure.


I've been preparing for this week with all the strategy of an upcoming quest - we went ahead and got groceries (and flowers, because they were pretty and also on sale) so as not to have to get out (unless we want to), and planned laundry to all fall on a day we'll be trapped inside (might as well embrace to fact that the only clean things are jammies).


Optimistic knitting goals have been set, and have a possibility of being met since I finished my last library book yesterday (not that I can't knit while reading, but it does slow me down a little). Two small children combined with my own cat-like tendencies mean that I view steady rain the way (some) Southerners view a foot of snow on top of an inch of ice: something to stay out of at all costs.


Really, it suits me fine. I can take a pretty big dose of staying-in (as long as I'm prepared for it). Space to knit and write, to read (to myself, or aloud) and snuggle on the couch... We'll just get out the markers and draw our own sunshine.

Gifts...
2469. Errands that didn't require getting out of the car
2470. Surprise happy mail
2471. Sorting Brooklyn and Tobin's outgrown-and-newly-grown-into clothes, and the generous friends and relatives who make that a thing
2472. A jammy morning
2473. Post-nap errands
2474. Learning and changing
2475. My Mum coming for a surprise visit
2476. The library and ice cream after
2477. An afternoon adventure at the park
2478. Solitary breakfast on the balcony
2479. A little prayer and a little hand lettering
2480. An excellent sermon
2481. A morning spent writing prayer strategies
2482. Whole trade bouquets on sale
2483. Brooklyn excitedly carrying a bag of raisins all through the grocery store

No comments: