Thursday, February 11, 2016

Limit...

discussion sheet for dialogue on systemic racism and white privilege

As much as I dislike the idea, I have to admit that I'm limited by what I do (or do not) know. For example, if I don't recognize the privilege that I was born with as a white person in America, I can't move toward racial reconciliation, or use the advantages I've been given to help the disadvantaged.

I'm limited geographically and circumstantially - in this season, I can't wander very far afield, so I need to be especially intentional about reaching out to those near me, living in Gospel community with fellow believers and sharing Gospel love with my neighbors.

My ability to pray is limited by my awareness of people and circumstances that need to be prayed for. If I don't know that more Syrians have been affected by the humanitarian crisis in their country right now than victims of Hurricane Katrina, the Haitian earthquake, the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, and Rwandan genocide combined, then I won't be driven to constant prayer on their behalf.

But thankfully, God transcends my limitations and is Himself unlimited. He sees all and hears all, He knows everything and He cares about everything and everyone, and if I will bring my unattainable hope of a better world to Him instead of reaching for the stars like a child on a summer night, He can lift me up on His shoulders until those dreams become as close as fireflies.

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers, internet wide, gather to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

5 comments:

blestbutstrest said...

Yes! I love the imagery of letting God lift us up to do his work where we aren't bound by the limitations of our own imaginations and self-doubt. The whole concept of living with privledge is new to me, because as a female (especially one who attends a fairly conservative church where the old boys' club is alive and well), I feel like I am often subjected to attitudes and actions that resemble racism. But they don't. Thank you for making me think!

Miranda said...

I am so thankful that we serve a God that knows everything before we do and goes before us and fights.

your fmf friend

Andrew said...

Great job with this, Sarah Jo.

I've been in places where just staying alive is a privilege...and am living through something like that now...and it's the grace of God that lets me see the possibilities that are still there, rather than moaning about how unfair it all is.

Standing on the edge of death isn't unfair. It just is. And, says God..."Deal with it. I'll help you."

Your neighbour in the #2 spot at FMF this week.

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2016/02/your-dying-spouse-118-limits-of-love-fmf.html

Leigh said...

Stopping by from FMF. Thanks for sharing another perspective about our limits. good food for thought.

Lynette said...

Amen, friend. He certainly is limitless. I am so glad for that. Great post.

Lynette
~#76 on linkup