Friday, January 29, 2016

Quiet...


Quiet. Something I treasure deeply, on so many levels. There's the traditional kind of quiet, with a reduced noise level (and the remaining sounds are peaceful). There's a quiet space, one that's tidy and under control, so there aren't any visual disruptions or distractions. There's quiet of mind, the mental version of an orderly room... so many aspects and applications of the same concept, and the introvert in me wants them all.

I haven't had much quiet (of any sort) in my life lately... small kids and apartment dwelling (we're sandwiched between the first and third floors of our building, with a large family in a small space below us and a preoccupied med student with an odd schedule above) mean there's a lot going on in terms of ambient noise (only some of which can be drowned out by Beatles albums on repeat - and even then, that's not quiet, that's just controlling what noise we hear). There's also a never-ending line up of Things To Do, because (for some strange reason) it seems necessary to produce laundry and dishes on a daily (and sometimes hourly) basis, and toys must needs be gotten off the shelves and out of the baskets and scattered about the floor (crazy, isn't it?).

So that leaves me seeking the only quiet that's really left to me - little moments in which I can close my eyes, take a deep breath, release some of the tension that builds up in my shoulders, and unclench my fists... choosing, not to rush ahead and busy myself with yet another task (even if it's a voluntary/recreational one like knitting or reading), but instead to raise my empty hands to the Giver of Grace while resting in His stillness.

It's Five Minute Friday! A weekly flashmob of bloggers that gather, internet-wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

1 comment:

Gayl Wright said...

"So that leaves me seeking the only quiet that's really left to me - little moments in which I can close my eyes, take a deep breath, release some of the tension..." This is what I need to remember to do more often. Thanks for your timely reminder. Those kinds of quiet times are so needed in our fast paced world. Blessings to you!