Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Carpe Diem



Friday morning started early for me (5:30 - about 2 to 3 hours before we're normally up), in order to take Tobin to the air base for his one year check up. I say that in an attempt to explain what happened later...

Adam stayed home with Brooklyn, and then we all took him to an appointment of his own. After dropping him off, we ran a few errands, then made a final stop at Target. He texted that he was ready just after I'd gotten everyone out of the car and into a cart and talked up the snacks we were going to get. But I texted back that we'd come, tossed my purse into the front seat (with my phone in it), started the car, unlocked the doors, went to put Brooklyn in... and realized that I had actually locked the doors and could not get into my car.

The Target employees were beyond helpful - they sent security out to guard my car (since it was running), one found me a phone that would dial out and one looked up the number for roadside assistance (she happened to have the same insurance that we do). I called Adam, called the insurance company, and then only spent about ten minutes jogging up and coasting down a hill in the parking lot while Brooklyn and Tobin squealed in the cart before a very efficient pop-a-lock team turned up (along with Adam, who'd decided to walk).


The chapter in Breathing Room that Rebekah and I just discussed talks about how listening to your body's indicators that you're headed for burn-out and pausing to breathe is the reverse of selfish (since making your husband walk to meet you after his doctor's appointment is not particularly helpful, nor is taking your hungry toddler into Target and telling her you can't get her the snacks you initially offered her because your wallet is locked in the car). I've been missing small processes for awhile, and with that final straw I decided against spending a weekend stuck inside with two Littles, alone (since Adam worked over the weekend).


So I seized the opportunity to embrace a spontaneous adventure: driving to Fayetteville to spend the weekend stuck inside with two Littles... with Mum (that made all the difference), since my Dad also had to work over the weekend.




We drank lots and lots of tea... admired the swirling snow from inside the warm house... talked... stayed up one night eating chips and queso while I got Mum hooked on Sherlock... Brooklyn and Tobin played and played and played... and it was gloriously refreshing. A fresh person to enjoy spending time with two busy little people, and someone to have a conversation with that didn't center around how delicious an imaginary cookie was or the fact that pandas don't wear diapers.


We had a peaceful Sabbath-at-home morning while Mum went to church, got a farewell coffee from the nearest local cafe, and headed home, renewed and ready to face the week ahead.

It's been awhile since I did something like that - and it felt good. I'm already plotting how I can make the same thing work with Adam's parents, since he has a few out-of-town schools coming up later this year... All in all, I think adventure is off to a good start!

Gifts...
2300. Convincing Tobin to take a bath (with minimal tears)
2301. Adam eating my dinner experiment
2302. An hour's chatting with Cathy
2303. Adam staying with Brooklyn so I wouldn't have to wake her up early for Tobin's appointment
2304. Tobin's extraordinary courage over having his blood drawn for a few labs
2305. Helpful Target employees, insurance personnel, and roadside assistance when I locked my keys in my car
2306. The ability to spend a Drill weekend in Fayetteville
2307. Telling time by cups of tea
2308. Snow - in the air, but not on the roads
2309. A restorative Sabbath morning
2310. Drawing at the table with Brooklyn
2311. A raspberry mocha from Red Kite for the road
2312. Needed groceries, on sale
2313. Tobin taking his iron supplement gracefully
2314. Warm clothes for all of us and a car with a working heater

No comments: