Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Wonder, Gratitude, and Adventure


On our last walk-at-the-park day over the weekend, we somehow managed to leave Brooklyn's shoes at home, so Adam carried her. But it had rained all morning, so there were lots of puddles, and she loves puddles - so she asked him to jump in the puddles for her. Being the sweet daddy that he is, he enthusiastically obliged, to her delight.


I love little moments like that - all of the small things that add up to equal the grand adventure of life. I haven't been as diligent about watching for (and appreciating) those moments lately, but that's something I'd like to rectify in the coming year.

earrings from Azerbaijan as part of Fair Trade Friday's earrings-of-the-month

A head start came in the form of an unassuming package in our postbox the day after Christmas - a handrolled paper bead bracelet made by the girls at Mercy House for founder Kristen Welch's upcoming book, Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World. It has three copper beads, which serve as a reminder of three questions to ask myself daily: who do I appreciate today? today, what made me smile? and, how was God good today? It's a variation on my three daily gifts that I needed - I've already been trying to refresh that habit to keep it strong, so this came at the perfect time.


In her book One Thousand Gifts, Ann Voskamp writes about how gratitude allows us to sink fully into the wonder of the moment, slowing the mad rush of Busy and Entitlement and Destination-Focus that sweeps us up and whirls us along. I've found it to be true for myself - wonder and gratitude are parallel gauges, and when my appreciation for one increases, so does the other.

Gifts...
2270.Staying up late to finish a knitting project and a book (I can sleep better when things are complete, even if that means less sleep) 
2271. and then getting to take an afternoon nap
2272.  Errands all together - the extra day with Adam was really nice

No comments: