Thursday, December 10, 2015

Reflect...


While we were walking at the park on Wednesday, I was watching the rippling surface of the lake as spinning leaves fluttered down out of the trees and drifted across its surface. If Brooklyn wouldn't have protested, I'd have happily sat down on a convenient bench to watch and ponder for awhile, because it was very conducive to contemplation. Reflection.

But as the sun was setting on our last leg of the trail before we got back to my car, the wind stopped abruptly and the water stilled. I couldn't resist halting our forward progress (and half-climbing down a rocky bank while Brooklyn observed from the wagon - because I'm a horrible example sometimes) in order to take a picture of the striking mirror that lay calmly under the pier. Reflection.

I love words that have more than one meaning - and one thing that strikes me about the multiple uses of reflect is a commonality: both require stillness. The details of the landscape were lost while the water was agitated by the evening breeze, and any degree of introspection requires (at least for me) a calm atmosphere and a quiet mind. 

This season has lots of times set aside for reflection (especially in my daily Advent readings), but I'd also like to stop my rushing about long enough to reflect the love and grace of God-with-us onto any who need it, and back at Him as an act of praise to the only One who will keep my little world spinning even when I stand still.

It's Five Minute Friday! A weekly flashmob of bloggers that gather, internet-wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

7 comments:

mirandamiller.net said...

Reflecting His love is something I strive for daily.

Jeanne Takenaka said...

Beautiful, Sarah Jo. I LOVED your picture! I'm always on the lookout for those kinds of views. And you bring up something so perfectly. We can only reflect when we are still. Whether we're reflecting on God's truths, or we're reflecting His presence in our lives. When we're busy, we're less likely to reflect Him clearly.

I'm your FMF neighbor this week. :)

Tammy Belau said...

Sarah Jo,
oh the imagery in your writing and the actual photograph! So lovely to behold! I agree with the need for stillness. This morning was chaotic in my home, and after taking my girls to their classrooms, I had to settle myself upstairs in my own classroom. It was a gift from God, but it was so necessary! Thankful for your contribution tonight!
Love,
Tammy
(#7 on the linkup)

blestbutstrest said...

Oh, I'm with you on the need for quiet in order to reflect and ponder! Beautiful thoughts and beautiful photo!

Andrew said...

OK, well, when you said, "...if Brooklyn hadn't protested..." and i had the mental image of the entire borough decked out in bell-bottoms and tie-dyes, waving "Give Peace A Chance" signs.

I am SOOOO Viet Nam!

Seriously, Sarah Jo...beautiful post. Loved it.

Tara Ulrich said...

Great photo! One of my fave things is watching the sun reflect off the lake etc.

Karrilee Aggett said...

I adore you and love your drive for reflection, my friend! (So often the best reflections require a bit of scampering about and climbing through weeds... but the views and revelations --so worth it! In the big scheme of things - that is not a bad example at all!) xoxo