Thursday, November 26, 2015

Table...


Everyone handles it differently - the need to seat an unusually large number of people. In our little apartment, we pull out every barstool and storage bench and line the living room walls as people awkwardly balance a plate on their knee. Adam's family is the sort to bring out folding tables and folding chairs, spreading people throughout the house if necessary, but also ensuring that everyone has an actual chair at some sort of an actual table.

It's interesting to see how different people translate hospitality - whether that's I will gladly sit on the floor, and you're welcome to sit on my floor with me comfortability or we will empty the church fellowship hall of folding furniture in order to seat everyone properly deference. As long as there's an open and inviting metaphorical table, I don't really think the actual seating arrangements are that important.

Like today: my grandparents, parents, in-laws, and Littles (and Adam and I) gathered to share a grateful meal together. There wasn't a lot of scrambling for seats (both Littles were perched on a corner of the table on folding chairs, but they had the only provisional seating), but that wasn't the point. We laughed - talked - complimented all those who had a hand in the cooking - went back for seconds - and all felt warmly welcomed and graciously included.

I want to live willing to fill every empty chair and delighted to accept someone's invitation to join them on their floor - focusing on community, grace, and gratitude, and laying aside criticism, pride, and entitlement... to bring others to my table with the same attitude that Jesus invites us to His.

It's Five Minute Friday - a weekly flashmob of bloggers that gather, internet-wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

8 comments:

Marisa S said...

I love the way you celebrate it sounds like how we do it. Casual, laid back, not formal, simply enjoying the company of one another and the love shared :) Happy Thanksgiving friend!!!

Tara Ulrich said...

Love this!

Miranda said...

My goal is to live like this too!

Visiting from fmf parked at number six this week!

Andrew said...

I'll come sit on the floor with you, Sarah Jo. It's what I'm used to, anyway. There are few chairs here...the space is given over to sleeping crates for the rescue dogs.

Better that way.

#7at FMF this week...

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2015/11/your-dying-spouse-88-tabula-rasa-fmf.html

thisiskatha said...

Beautiful! I love this description.

Janel said...

its funny. sometimes I actually feel more comfortable sitting on the floor. Once when I was at small group I was sitting on the floor to watch of a video that we were later discussing and my hostess was beside herself that I wouldn't sit on a chair and didn't believe me that I was comfortable. I like sitting on chairs, but anywhere gathered with people is good with me. I'd love the cozy gathering that you had. thank you for sharing your reflection dear one ;)

Kadie @ 12 twenty8 said...

Sounds like my kind of holiday! We routinely sit on the floor in our home to give up the limited seating in the living room. Glad it went well!

Lynette said...

I really need to stop worrying so much about not having enough couches and chairs and start letting people in more often. Thanks for the reminder!

Lynette
(Parked at #52 this week)