Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Preparations


Four more weeks until he's one... Soon begins the yearly challenge of celebrating a birthday and Christmas, separately, but very close together - soon, but not just yet.


We've spent the past week fairly quietly, at home as much as possible - both because of cold, wet weather, and also so that some of us {coughmecough} could emotionally prepare for time spent around a lot of people in an environment outside of my control, also known as Thanksgiving. I've never really struggled with my own expectations - I'm not Pinterest-driven enough to torture my husband and kids with unrealistic visions of saccharine perfection - but sometimes I run afoul of other's expectations of me. I've been drinking tea and making space and reading up (Modern Mrs Darcy and Quiet Revolution have some helpful thoughts), to get ready.


I love my family. And I love Thanksgiving - the history behind it, the traditions and rituals and potential for reflection. It's very appealing. What's less appealing is the clash of dynamics, backgrounds, opinions, and beliefs that leaves me feeling like I'm the only person in the room who's different, as well as the only one who's trying to get along (an illusion created by hyper-analysis and over-observation).


But for now, we're relishing our warm sanctuary from the cold outdoors, finding new ways to stay busy (stacks of books, piano practice, teaching Brooklyn new songs to sing), and counting gifts. Soon I'll start on the pre-trip laundry and packing, but until then, I'll be grateful for the moment that I'm in.

Gifts...
2159. A jammy day, after a series of busy, errand-y ones
2160. A consecutive chunk of time spent reading and knitting - both restful and productive
2161. Quietly watching a quiet movie, together
2162. Upstairs vacuuming at 8am - I'd overslept my alarm and needed to be up
2163. A perfect knitting class
2164. Spending the afternoon/evening all together as a family
2165. Sweet Sunday school teachers
2166. An hour spent laying on the couch, reading, since I couldn't nap
2167. Community group leaders who are willing to arrange trustworthy childcare, despite not having kids in need of watching
2168. Encouraging words from someone whose commendation (especially in the commended area) means a lot to me
2169. Brooklyn "playing" the piano while Tobin accompanied on the maracas
2170. Space to be still at the end of a long, emotionally draining day

No comments: