Thursday, November 19, 2015

Dwell...


Dwell. One of my very favorite words. Lingering and pondering and getting cozily comfortable are concepts that can get behind with the abandon I generally give to whatever I pursue, and I also love its verb/noun dichotomy - that a dwelling is place in which to do that lingering and pondering and settling down.

To me, it's cup of tea - a knitting project in progress - a fresh page in my journal and fresh ink in my fountain pen - reading books on the couch with Brooklyn - snuggling Tobin to his tiny heart's content - watching a movie with Adam, but only half paying attention to the movie - replying to letters - accepting the challenge of finishing a stack of library books before they're due back... introversion and community blended together in perfect harmony.

And that's the sort of dwelling I'd like our home to be - one that's as inviting as a cup of tea, as warm as a scented candle, as engaging as a challenging project, as loving as baby snuggles and toddler hugs, and as hard to walk away from as a good book.

It's Five Minute Friday! A weekly flashmob of bloggers who gather, internet-wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

9 comments:

Mary Geisen said...

Thank you for these words tonight. There is such welcome and comfort in them. To create a space that is inviting and cozy sounds wonderful. Blessings along the way!

meanddoxie said...

Oh so happy to read this!! I am not sure what was so uplifting about your post but it really made me feel warm and happy!! Thank you for sharing your special moments!!

Miranda said...

So perfect!!

Your fmf neighbor parked at number 8 this week

Marie Gregg said...

Reading your words made me feel warm and cozy tonight. :)

blestbutstrest said...

Ah. Relaxing with others and dwelling in peace. I miss our wood stove (a necessity in Montana, not so much in Arizona) and the rip-roaring 80-degress-inside-and-minus-20-outside nights! We're creating a new cozy dwelling though in this new place--one where students feel comfortable coming over and baking brownies or haning out eating popcorn and cookies :).

Tara Ulrich said...

I want to dwell with you after reading your post. So warm, cozy and inviting! I'm #13 this week.

Carly said...

I love your description of dwelling- it sounds so good.

Karrilee Aggett said...

Ah yes... I love this take on Dwell. I love to create an atmosphere where others come and dwell as well! One of the best compliments I get is how people never want to leave our home. We purpose to create a dwelling place for His Presence... His spirit freely moving in and out of every room... filling and refreshing! Your post made me feel this too!

Kadie @ 12 twenty8 said...

Oh how I would love to curl up on your couch with a cup of tea and just fellowship with you! :)