Sunday, October 4, 2015

Wear the Story

This is day 4 in my 31 Days series on sustainable dwelling. For an introduction and more posts, head here!



This month is (among other things) Fair Trade Awareness month. What better way to celebrate than by highlighting fair trade/local fashion every day this month? I'm wearing at least one thing every day that meets those parameters - beginning with one of my favorites, the Fair Trade Friday Earrings-of-the-month club. You'll be seeing a lot of these, because it's a monthly subscription that sends a pair of earrings to your mailbox every month. For less than $15, I'm helping a woman somewhere in the world support herself and her family, and getting an awesome new pair of earrings, too (or a head start on Christmas, for the ones that shout someone else's name to me when I open the bag). {Also, we use mugs instead of regular glasses, and all of ours are different - why not remember a favorite local business while also enjoying a favorite tea?}


{Not real - although, it's not a bad idea...} Because there are as many ways to raise awareness as there are people - jewelry, accessories, clothes, home goods (more on that later), coffee mugs, and even permanent (or temporary) reminders.


I love bracelets. Unfortunately, I have unusually small wrists so I have trouble finding bracelets (at least, ones designed for "typical" Americans...) that will stay on. But I've found some, like 31Bits and those pretty beaded ones like I used in the button for this series, that must be made by cultures that share my tiny wrists, because they fit!


Hey, remember those beaded bangles I just mentioned?

Despite the fact that I already have several bracelets from her (she knows my name... I sort of follow her from fair to festival), I succumbed to this Bella Vita bangle at a food truck rally yesterday. I could have gotten a T shirt (and they were super-cute - I {heart} FOOD, but with a food truck instead of a heart), but this is a memory that I'll wear more often, and loving local/fair trade is what I do!


You don't have to sacrifice your personal style in order to wear a story - you just need to keep your eyes (and heart) open to opportunities to reclaim consumerism!

No comments: