Friday, October 9, 2015

Trust...

This is day 9 in my 31 Days series on sustainable dwelling. For an introduction and more posts, head here!


Trust. In some ways, we use it freely, often without realizing it. I set an alarm, trusting that it will go off. I get in my car at the exact time I need to leave in order to get to my appointment, trusting that it will start. I go through my green light, trusting that cross traffic will stop at their red one. I drive through to get a drink on my way, trusting that an employee didn't get their cleaning supplies mixed up and accidentally poison me. I trust that that railing is securely fastened and won't spontaneously fall off when Tobin stands up against it. And the list goes on, point after point throughout our day, trust repeatedly placed in the systems that surround us.

But then the trust is broken. We find out that a food company lied about their ingredients. That a corporation has been poisoning the local water supply (and thereby the local people) because of their manufacturing practices. That our favorite brand of clothing was made by children the age of our own and women, like ourselves, but desperate and locked in sweltering buildings for inhumane hours with little or no pay. It's enough to make a person stop trusting altogether.

But there is One who we can safely trust. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever - and He has always had the same plan. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, which He lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight making known to us the mystery of His will, according to His purpose, which He set forth in Christ as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in Him, things in heaven and things on earth. {Ephesians 1:7-10}

So we can pursue His directive of loving Him and loving others, of seeking justice and loving mercy and walking humbly with Him - in peaceful assurance that in the fullness of time, He will right every wrong, wipe every tear, and make all things new. Because our trust is safe in Him.


It's Five Minute Friday! Each week a flashmob of bloggers internet-wide gather to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing!) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!

5 comments:

blestbutstrest said...

Ah, I trust in the Lord (although sometimes, I trust in my own understanding just a little too much). Thank you for the encouragement to keep my trust in the only one who is trustworthy!

Tammy Belau said...

Beautiful post.
We are too trusting in the temporary and not enough in the eternal. Excellent writing on directing our eyes to where our help comes from! :)
(your neighbor at #4 spot on FMF this week)
~Tammy
(tammysincerity)

Bethany Boring said...

I love the picture here! Just reminds me of my guys when they were that young!

Andrew said...

Great post, and the passage from Ephesians is a perfect fit!

I'm at #6 in FMF this week.

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2015/10/your-dying-spouse-67-whom-can-you-trust.html

Summer Floyd said...

We forget all the time how easily we trust. It's true. It's a good reminder. And really there can't be any relationship without a bond of trust. It we don't extend some trust we can't ever advance. We just stay walked in. Trust enables us to risk. To trust is to risk. Liked the reminder of all the ways we trust yet many times we don't trust God