Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Tangible

This is day 7 in my 31 Days series on sustainable dwelling. For an introduction and more posts, head here!


I opened our postbox a few days ago to find a solitary blue envelope with no return address. The handwriting was familiar and the postmark was from Washington State, and there was something round and flat and hard in one corner.

When I got upstairs, I opened it to find a very sweet note from a fellow knitter/#fmfpartysnailmailer/Instagram friend about noticing a picture I'd posted of my little foreign coin collection (my Dad used to work in avionics interiors, so he brought me the change that fell out of people's pockets), how she and her daughter had taught at a school in Uganda a few years ago - and enclosed a Ugandan coin.

Part of the reason that currency fascinates me is because it connects me to that place. I can not only remember the person who gave it to me, the circumstances under which they acquired it, but also get a better understanding of where the coin itself came from. One that Dad found for me was a 100 rupee piece from India - that one has long stood out because of a childhood obsession with Amy Carmichael (an Irish missionary who founded an orphange in India in the late 18/early 1900s). At the time she was there, a Hindu temple could purchase a girl (generally for the purpose of "marrying her to the gods" - or, more accurately, for temple prostitution) for 50 rupees - and suddenly, that coin takes on the value of two souls. Makes it weigh a little more in your hand when you see it that way...

This coin was no different. It instantly brought to mind this post, from Kristin Welch, that I'd read last week {you need to go read it now - I'll wait here}.

...

Now then. The model of Christian community that these girls are demonstrating is beautiful - and not really something we have here in the West. We try so hard not to be that dependent on others - and if we become that way, we try not to let anyone know. But we're robbing ourselves of such joy! The joy of shared meals, and shared resources, and shared lives... This is why I'm so passionate about supporting fair trade/local businesses - because if we would just pour our drops into the good buckets we'd be able to fill them up and keep them full, reclaiming consumerism and demonstrating Love in a tangible way.



Seek out ways to make the reality of poverty, human trafficking, and oppression real to you - then go out and do something about it!

No comments: