Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Sharing

This is day 27 in my 31 Days series on sustainable dwelling. For an introduction and more posts, head here!



Saturday evening, after Brooklyn and Tobin were safely tucked in, Adam and I did something that we've never done before: we went on a double date with a recently married couple that we're friends with. It was absolutely lovely - meeting at a local creperie and spending two very short hours talking and laughing and getting to know each other better. I love sharing things I love (tea, and local restaurants, and fun-filled evenings) with good people. I think it makes the experience so much richer, introvert though I am.

Tea and macarons at Alchemy, just off the Fayetteville Square, with Mum

I think that's part of why I write, and why I take pictures and post them on social media - the act of sharing. I scroll through my own Instagram feed - not to count "likes," but to remember the moments thus captured, a digital photo album of sorts, squared.

There are still pictures that I keep to myself - journal entries that are never published - even conversations that are preserved only in my often-faulty memory. I have one friend that I've never managed to get a picture with, because we're always so engrossed in the time that we're spending together that we forget to document it - and I try to be candid with my shots, not ruining a moment for the mere sake of capturing it, and taking pictures of Places and Things with the desire of raising awareness about a business or cause, not a desire of raising awareness about my own travels or material possessions.


Sometimes I slip my camera out at what might be considered a sacred moment (it helps that cameras keep getting smaller without an appreciable loss of quality, for my purposes...) but it's as much for the sake of my own memory as for someone else's. Shared joy, and joy held onto longer than my mind's eye can store it - honestly, I'm just grateful that social media has made it somehow acceptable to post photographs of anything and everything, especially the trivial, because it's what I've always taken pictures of anyway. The little things that bring me joy.

There are so many times when I step back - needing space to process, to think, to breathe - but sometimes I forget to step back in again. I try to keep myself going by myself, and that only lasts for so long (self-produced renewable energy isn't a Thing, as much as I might wish that it was sometimes). I need to be reminded that it's nice to be not-alone sometimes, preferably before I reach the point of self-inflicted loneliness - to scroll back through and see smiling faces and multiple drinks sitting on the same table, to see board games and movie tickets, and the benefit and necessity of community.


Beautiful dwelling is seeking community and sharing experiences - first and foremost in person, but also fostering relationships across broader spaces.

No comments: