Sunday, October 25, 2015

Odds and Ends

This is day 25 in my 31 Days series on sustainable dwelling. For an introduction and more posts, head here!



The Nester has an idea that the things we use every day should be pretty (so she peels labels, repackages things, and actually burns the nice-smelling candles because that's what you're supposed to do with them). It's a concept I can definitely get behind. I was using a plain empty local honey jar as a candle holder, but when I spotted this cute map washi tape at my favorite paperie, I knew it would be perfect for wrapping around the jar. Now it smells pretty and it looks pretty.



I carry a journal with me everywhere - it has lists, sermon notes, patterns-in-progress, actual journal entries, attempts at poetry... I started doing this several years ago and it's proven to be an invaluable practice. I always get the hardcover lined Moleskines, and date the spine when it's full, so I can go back and references notes and ideas, and discover treasures like maps hand drawn by strangers because I asked for directions. I've decorated a few with washi tape, and I had a couple of The Hobbit themed ones when the movies came out, though usually they're just plain black... but last Christmas I found the perfect thing at the Little Craft Show - a fillion. It's leather, and closes nicely, and has my name on it - and it holds several notebooks (including my Perpetual Notebook) and pockets, in a variety of configurations. J'adore.


It's easier to relax in a bath that I know isn't filled with nasty chemicals and unethical ingredients - and Sustainable Suds also has a one-for-one model that provides clean water with every purchase, which is even better. They also make soaps and lotions and scrubs and balms, all in a variety of delicious scents (Sea Salt is my favorite - ten kinds of mint. I'm hoping The Mustache still has some, because I used the last of mine!)

T from Onyx Coffee Lab, bangle by Bella Vita, earrings by Village Artisan via Fair Trade Friday

I really do love all the pretty little things - things that sparkle in the sunshine, tickle my nose, or treat my tastebuds. But I enjoy them all the more when I know that there's a story behind it, and that that story is one of adventure and creation and dreams-come-true. or perhaps a tale of hope and restoration.


I know I keep saying it, but it's just so true: even if sustainable dwelling isn't your "thing," there is still some area of your life that can be sustainable. Just pick one!

No comments: