Saturday, September 5, 2015


The weekly reckoning...
1907. Mum coming to stay with Brooklyn so we didn't have to take her to a rehearsal/wedding
1908. Being able to give one of the bridesmaids a ride, and that she was on our way
1909. Tobin's patience with spending an afternoon with Adam, and his delight at hanging out at the rehearsal dinner
1910. Brooklyn waking up in time for us to see her before we left, since we got back after she went to bed
1911. Adam bravely entertaining Tobin with drives and hikes and adventures
1912. A beautiful, Gospel-centered wedding
1913. Not falling asleep in church (it was too good a sermon to miss)
1914. Afternoon naps for all (except Adam, who chose to clean the kitchen instead)
1915. Hearing the laughter in Adam's voice as he reads her bedtime stories
1916. Sleeping in and breakfast in bed
1917. A morning spent exploring the Heifer International headquarters
1918. Adam hearing Brooklyn laughing and coming to put her to bed back to bed at 2am - which is apparently what she wanted, as my efforts up to that point had resulted in tears
1919. That an alert printed at the register informing us that some snacks I wanted for Brooklyn were recalled, instead of us finding out the hard way that they were bad
1920. Groceries for the week on less than the week's allotted budget
1921. A chance to make dinner for Adam, since he's usually the one that cooks
1922. Success with an experimental art project

1923. Patient and attentive doctors and nurses
1924. Prayer, asked for, agreed to, and answered
1925. Adam having Friday morning off so that he could sleep in after being up late, and still have time for errands
1926. Concerned calls and texts
1927. Brooklyn sleeping in a little after a very late night, and taking a long nap the next afternoon
1928. Everyone slowly starting to feel better
1929. Tobin's buoyant happiness in every circumstance
1930. A neighbor giving Brooklyn a hand up the stairs

Friday was what I call a Day. Thursday night, after Adam got off work, Brooklyn was sick. Repeatedly. After several failed attempts to put her to bed (why do these things always seem to happen at night?) and running completely out of clean jammies, he became concerned to the point of deciding to take her to the ER.

I stayed behind with a sleeping Tobin, texted Adam all of the information I thought he might need about her day/her in general, then sent a few texts and a tweet asking for prayer. The response was instantaneous - texts, tweets, and a four-and-a-half minute Voxed prayer poured in to encourage me (and Adam, who I was relaying everything to). He sent me updates and pictures. The doctors and nurses were gentle, kind, and understanding. They asked questions and listened to the answers, and started with the simplest/least invasive guess: stomach bug or possible bad lunchmeat. After she kept down an anti-nausea tablet and a couple of glasses of water, they sent her home around 1am. I updated everyone who was praying before crashing into bed, feeling a little sick myself.

Friday morning was... delicate. Keeping Tobin quietly entertained since he woke up early. Trying to keep them separated once she woke up, in case she was contagious (at this point, it looks like she was not). Carefully offering her small amounts of food, spaced out. Changing diapers with her standing up because she was afraid to lie down. Adam was home all morning (an exchange for working late that night) so he took Brooklyn to get her prescription filled, which helped keep Tobin away from her but wore her out.

So she took a long afternoon nap (Tobin took a short one). I checked the mail to find an encouraging note (with fun extras). My mentor/friend called briefly to check on us, and a few others texted/messaged throughout the day. When Brooklyn woke up she requested "chicken and ketchup" so we made a Friday-before-a-holiday rush-hour run to Slim Chickens. As I struggled back up the stairs, carrying Tobin and bags and verbally encouraging Brooklyn with each individual step, an upstairs neighbor I had never met chose to offer her a hand in getting up, instead of just passing us like I offered.

The rest of the evening went smoothly, and I went to bed exhausted but at peace. There were so many yeses to be grateful for; the yes to pray, the yes of answered prayer, the yes of the doctors and nurses working that night, the yes of Adam going alone while I stayed with Tobin, the yes of community, and the yes of many small acts of kindness, joining together to equal far more than the sum of their parts.

Blending One Thousand Gifts with Five Minute Friday - a weekly flashmob of bloggers that gather, internet-wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then link up and share a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here!
Thank you for you patience as I process in writing! The sooner I get things out of my system, the healthier and happier I am (post about that coming Tuesday). Also, we're all doing much better today.


betweenbluerocks said...

Praise the Lord for His yeses!

Tara Ulrich said...

I'm so glad she is feeling better. Thanks be to God for all the yeses!! I pray that you got to get some sleep. I'm so thankful for this community too. Parked in the 15 spot this week.