Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Simply Tuesday


"You already know life is sacred. You know the moments count. You know that most of the tasks on your to-do list aren't all that important in the scheme of things. And yet..." -from Simply Tuesday by Emily P Freeman

And yet. It's the "and yet" that gets me every time. The hustle that's waiting for me when I wake up every morning like an impatient cat, pawing the bed and wanting its bowl filled, just so that it can snub it and tell me that I've gotten it wrong - again.


Simply Tuesday releases today, but I've had an advance copy I've been devouring for several weeks. I already loved her last book, A Million Little Ways, her blog, and her Hope*ologie contributions - and the #itssimplytuesday hashtag on Instagram, where people celebrate their ordinary mid-week moments.


Celebrating smallness is such a struggle for me - not the celebrating part {I can turn an isolated event into a tradition and a ritual before it's even over} but the leaving-it-small part. I want to elevate it, picking that flower, putting it in a vase on my counter, and posting a picture of it - when, instead, I should lie down on the ground next to it in soft-breathed admiration, embracing the stillness.


"But learning to live well in ordinary time isn't a call to elevate moments; it's a call to draw close to Christ." -from Simply Tuesday by Emily P Freeman

And there's the root of my struggle: the flaw of the sun-worshiper who revels in the warm light and directs gratitude toward it, instead of seeing the hand of the Creator in its existence and praising Him. I get so hung up in the moment itself that I can't see beyond it to the One who stands outside of time. I desperately need to tear down the ladder I'm building to Heaven and build a bench instead, as Emily suggests. To sit - just sit, and not do anything else - to breathe in the stillness and breathe out the stress.


Beautiful dwelling is both seizing and creating moments of extraordinary soul refreshment at Jesus' feet, in the midst of ordinary days.
Besides her book, which I highly recommend, Emily has many other resources for helping you escape the hustle here. Also, even though I hope you already know this, all of the views and opinions expressed here are my own (yes, even despite having been given an advance copy of the book).

1 comment:

Karrilee Aggett said...

Oh friend, I love this! And I love that we got to read this book 'together' and sit in a bit of sacred silence! And this: " I want to elevate it, picking that flower, putting it in a vase on my counter, and posting a picture of it - when, instead, I should lie down on the ground next to it in soft-breathed admiration, embracing the stillness." Isn't that really the danger of all of our 'connectedness'? It crowds out the quiet... but it's in the quiet that we can most clearly hear that still small voice!

xoxo
~K~