Monday, August 10, 2015

Onward and Upward


Tobin is gaining speed in his crawling ability - while he's still a little wobbly, he can get where he wants to more quickly than Brooklyn or I expect. This morning he and Brooklyn were playing in the living room and I was in the kitchen - I glanced over the counter and saw Tobin in the middle of the room, turned to put a bowl away, then walked all the way to where he had been seconds ago before I turned around and saw him rounding the corner into the kitchen.


He's in the process now of figuring out how to reach up to things. Most of the time he topples over, but at some point he's going to realize that if he'd just sit down next to a toy box instead of laying down, he'd be able to dig through it more easily.


Not that I'm in a hurry for him to start doing that... Brooklyn just had a growth spurt that extended her reach to the middle of our dining table, so that's no longer a safe place to put things. We had several people move out of our building at the end of last month and one of them left behind a bathroom shelf, the kind you stand over the back of the toilet for towels, anchored to the wall. I waited a few days to make sure that they weren't coming back for it, then claimed it as toddler-proof board game storage. It's high enough that she can stand under the lowest shelf, which buys me a little more time.


She {finally} reached a point where she can chew up food properly (she preferred just swallowing things whole - it worked with noodles, not so much with chicken), which has expanded her culinary options. It's so nice to be able to just share whatever I'm eating with her - we went to a food truck rally last week and she and I had tacos from the paleo truck. Honestly, there's been a wider gap between I-am-the-sole-food-source and able-to-eat-table-food than I anticipated. I don't know if she just wasn't interested, or if my expectation was unreasonable.


Something she's definitely interested in is frozen yogurt. We hunted down an Orange Leaf that had a couple of dairy-free flavors and I gave her a little dab, which she very happily and daintily ate. I was able to eat some of the regular kind without it apparently negatively affecting Tobin, which gives me hope that introducing dairy to him slowly, in the right order, filtered through my system, will help him work through {and ultimately past} his dairy allergy more quickly than Brooklyn has.


Brooklyn has been "reading" a lot lately - reciting her books, many of which she has accurately memorized. Sometimes she wants to be read to, but sometimes she takes the book and reads it aloud to us, adorably. She's also fond of dictating letters for us to write on her big drawing pad.


We have a short week, since Adam's off starting Friday, with a busy weekend to come, so the next few days are for staying in, staying cool, and hopefully continuing my tidying/baby proofing/organizing spree.

No comments: