Thursday, June 18, 2015

Fear...

This week's gifts...
1679. Watching Brooklyn run all over my parents' yard, half-delirious with freedom
1680. My Dad being able to take a couple of the days we were visiting off
1681. Birthday sno cones
1682. Meeting a friend for coffee
1683. Visiting knitters, and managing to keep Tobin fairly dry when we got caught in the rain
1684. Watching the fireflies rise between flashes of lightning, on the back porch with Adam 
1685. A quiet morning to pack and play 
1686. Lunch with Adam's parents (and my niece and brother-and-sister-in-law) on our way out of town 
1687. An uneventful trip home, made without stopping 
1688. A reintegrating jammy day
1689. Adam home from work nearly on time 
1690. Tobin agreeing to go to bed at eight 
1691. The pediatrician giving Brooklyn her own curve, since she's not on their charts
1692. Cookies from Dempsey, and ordering birthday cupcakes while we were there so we could stay home the next day 
1693. Brooklyn saying "Thank you, Mommy!" after I helped her with something 
1694. An unexpected Sabbath, beginning with everyone sleeping in 
1695. A cup of tea on the balcony, while catching up on Voxer bookclub discussion 
1696. New Community 
1697. Walking errands accomplished between rain showers 
1698. Getting to be on the Simply Tuesday launch team
1699. All the mail being Happy Mail


I can't do this, Sam.

I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mister Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened?
But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines out it will shine out the clearer. 
Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too little to understand why. But I think, Mister Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

What are we holding onto, Sam?

That there's some good in this world, Mister Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

---from The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. {John 14:27}

Blending One Thousand Gifts with Five Minute Friday - each week, a flashmob of bloggers gathers, internet-wide, to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then links up and shares a little comment love. For more info, more posts, and/or to join in, head here. As an aside, while this week's prompt was fear as prompted by last night's Charleston church shooting, in light of that event I cannot write about fear, so I wrote about hope instead and spent my five minutes looking up a quote and a verse.

3 comments:

Mary Geisen said...

Love the scripture and the quote from Tolkien. Blessed you are part of the FMF community.

Tara Ulrich said...

So much THIS: "That there's some good in this world, Mister Frodo... and it's worth fighting for." Yes!! Visiting from FMF where I'm #8 this week.

Andrew said...

One of my favorite quotes from LOTR - great post!

I'm your FMF neighbour today, #6

http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2015/06/your-dying-spouse-20-fear-of-death.html