Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Priorities

I've been talking about Practicing Pauses on Tuesdays - last week I wrote about Sabbath, and today I'd like revisit prioritizing the things that bring us the most rest.


I went on an elimination diet of sorts last week... for a week, I only did things that were absolutely necessary. Diapers were changed. Everyone was fed at appropriate intervals. Laundry was done and put away. The dishwasher was emptied and reloaded before we reached a point of having to handwash dishes in order to use them. Baths were given and showers taken. My Lenten devotional was read every morning while feeding Tobin and before getting Brooklyn up.

When I get a little uninterrupted time, I always have so many things that I want to do with it that I waste half of it trying to decide what to do (this is why my mother never told me I was being timed for standardized testing...) By not doing any of it for awhile, I hoped that the deepest desires would rise to the top.

So at the end of that week, the very first thing I did, when I had a chance, was write. I wrote a couple of letters. I journaled several pages. I put up two blog posts and drafted a third. Then I made a cup of tea and sat down to catch up on the blogs that I follow, and went ahead and read a chapter in Acts in preparation for the next Sunday's sermon, and worked through the next chapter in my Forgotten God book study. And before I took a brief nap, after putting Brooklyn and Tobin both down for one, I knitted a couple of rows on my current project.

Write.
Drink tea.
Read.
Knit.

Now I know - whenever I get a few moments of peace, I have a good idea of where to start, and what will do the most good in the shortest amount of time. The week of not doing anything was a little rough, but more than worth it for the data it provided.


What would bring the most peace to your pauses? What small thing feels like a breath of fresh air when you're overwhelmed with life's busyness?

No comments: