Friday, January 23, 2015

Share...

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week, a flashmob of bloggers internet-wide gathers to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing!) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then links up and shares a little comment love. For more posts, more info, and/or to join in, head here!


One thing I love about knitting is that because of its simple complexity it appeals to a wide variety of people. Some who are in it for the process, relishing the stitches and often giving away the finished piece - some who are in it for the product, tackling new or difficult techniques for the sake of that beautiful sweater.

Many knitters churn out hats and blankets and other item for charity... and then there are the Selfish Knitters. Contrary to how it might sound, this is not a derogatory term. A Selfish Knitter is someone who calculates the cost (in materials and time) of their talent, and then chooses carefully who they will spend it on. It's not a terribly unreasonable mindset - knitting can be an expensive pastime. Patterns may be free, but must often be purchased. Enough yarn to make, for example, an adult-sized sweater, can cost hundreds of dollars. Knitting needles come in 24 sizes, 3 types, and dozens of variations within those types - made from different materials in a range of prices (and eventually, you will need them all). And then that hypothetical sweater has about 70,000 stitches in its make-up, equaling hours of time spent in the making.

While I acknowledge the cost of knitting for others, I prefer to think of it like grace. As I pour out my time and talent (and deplete my stash, which is entirely too big), what I'm giving isn't something that I created, something that originated with me. It's the passing on of a gift that was given to me by others - those who taught, encouraged, employed, learned from, funded, and affirmed me as they shared a gift that had also been given to them.

None of us knows anything that we weren't taught - and none of us give anything that we weren't first given. And knitting and grace alike, when shared, multiply for both the giver and the receiver. I may run out of yarn, but I won't run out of the joy of knitting - and as long as I remember not to hoard what's given to me, I'll also never run out of grace. It's in the open-handed sharing that both become greater than they ever could be when held in a tightly clenched fist.

It's in our nature to keep what we value - but sometimes, there's more joy to be found in giving it away, and we may find that it's not really gone.

3 comments:

Tasha said...

I love it! God's grace is so limitless and His stash is always full! Thank you for sharing. :) Blessings.

claygirlsings said...

What a great connection between knitting and grace! (I'm a crocheter myself) I'm here from FMF.

Carrie McCoy said...

This was awesome! Knitting and grace going hand-in-hand made sense. What a great way to connect the two ideas! I also learned a lot about the different types of knitting. That is one skill I would love to learn someday.

~~~~~Visiting from FMF~~~~~