Thursday, January 15, 2015

Send...

It's Five Minute Friday! Each week, a flashmob of bloggers internet-wide gathers to write for five minutes (no stopping, no editing) on a prompt provided by sweet Kate, then we link up and share a little comment love. For more posts, more info, and/or to join in, head here!


I love to go, to do, to be on a mission. Love the city, knitting meetings, Bible studies with friends over coffee in local cafes, planning trips that cover more than one page-spread of an atlas... with a fire inside and an unquenchable thirst for adventure, being sent is definitely something I embrace.

Lately, though, I've been brewing my own coffee, participating in an online Bible study, getting my knitting a few solitary rows at a time just before bed, loving the city by promoting the small businesses I love through social media and word-of-mouth, and the idea of a trip down the stairs with two Tinies in tow is a little overwhelming.

But I'm grateful that even if I can't really be sent at the moment, I can still send. Texts. Tweets. Letters. Messages. Posts. Encouragement across the miles, whether the physical distance be small or great, words of gratitude, of congratulation, of condolence, of friendship... the best gifts I received for Christmas were a box of notecards and several books of stamps (tying for first with a couple of boxes of tea - which I plan to drink while writing notes).

There are two people that I keep up regular correspondence with - both recently added a second Tiny to their families so our exchange has slowed, but not stopped - and I try to stay on top of thank-yous. But there's another opportunity that cycles around (thanks to Kaitlyn, who bravely does all of the work while we have all of the fun) - #fmfpartysnailmail. Ladies with the single commonality that all believe in the power of the written word (and are willing to put a stamp on that belief), sending notes to people they may or may not know --- it's both an uplifting and a growing experience, and one that I highly encourage you to be part of (but be quick - sign ups for this round end at midnight on the 16th!)

Life-giving words can be incorporated into every season - whether spoken, typed, or written (or a combination of the three).

4 comments:

Anita Ojeda said...

Thanks for the reminder to join up again! I had forgotten about the new round starting soon :). I love writing and receiving letters and encouragement from friends--both known in person and known from blogs :).

Amy said...

I, too, am so thankful that I can still send love and encouragement even in the times I can't be sent.

iwillbloom said...

Love the grace that shines from your post. Hoping we might perhaps be paired up in the snail mail round!

Sandra Aguilar said...

I would like to do it, but I'm far away from almost all of you and I don't know if my mail could be on time...

http://fiveminutesfriday.blogspot.com/2015/01/send.html